Author Topic: A Return To The Workbench  (Read 662 times)

Offline AeroplaneDriver

• Not licensed to do this sort of thing
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Busy repainting the Jetstream in Red Arrows colors
A Return To The Workbench
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:51:22 pm »
Hello Styrene Wizards! 

Some of you may remember me from Many Moons Ago...a look at my previous posts indicates I was last active on the forum in March 2012.  My how time flies!

I stopped building (midway through a Dash 8 MPA) due to a combination of a new relationship (with a lady!), a busy spell at work, and a move.  My interests drifted off in different directions, and I sold off my not-insignificant stash during the move.  Life moves on...

Six years on, I have recently found myself missing those hours absorbed in modeling.  Back around November I started looking at kits on ebay again.  I lurked around a little on here and on Arcair.  I paid a visit to Hobby Lobby.  And perhaps inevitably when I found a Space 1999 Eagle Transporter and an Italeri OH-6 on the clearance shelf, I pulled the trigger and bought my first kits in many years.  Since then I have steadily worked on growing a modest stash (currently 22 and counting).

It's been a busy year at work, and December was especially busy, but once I got settled in after Christmas with an easier schedule I decided it was time to build again.  I'm easing my way back in with a Real World build.  Currently Tamiya's lovely 1/48 F4U-1D is about 30% done.  I figured a dream of a kit with a nice easy paint scheme was a good place to jump back in.  And I must say, it took about 15 minutes to rediscover the joy. 

After Saturday I start a nice stretch of 12 days off and plan on finishing the Corsair and jumping into my next build.

To give a quick update on 'life' for anyone who cares, still living in North Carolina, still a Simulator Instructor Pilot in the Embraer E190, though thanks the the economics of the industry my business cards now say "American Airlines" instead of "USAirways".  A nice little promotion about a year ago has meant a very busy year, but things are settling back into a nice routine. 

I'll post some Corsair pics in the "In Progress" forum when I figure out how to post pics on here these days.  Until then, I just wanted to jump in and say hello again to the old friends I see still on here, and introduce myself to the folks who have joined in my absence. 

It's nice to be back at the bench...
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
Re: A Return To The Workbench
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 01:06:32 am »
See, you can stay away for so long and then the pull just gets to strong  ;)

Good to have you back mate  :thumbsup: If you'd have asked me how long it had been I would have said 2014 ? Never would have got 2012  :o As you say, "time flies" - especially when you get older.

Chris
Decals my @r$e!

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 01:52:13 am »
Great to see you back, mate! Be looking out for your builds! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 07:28:38 am »
The long lost Aeroplanedriver is among us again.  :thumbsup:

Get that F4U done and get one with something Whiffish soon please.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Steel Penguin

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:45:13 am »
welcome back  :thumbsup:
always nice to have a familiar face return,
Redone 19/08/15  the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady added 07/10/18   take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances.   wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront

Offline Rick Lowe

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 02:39:54 am »
Welcome back.  :thumbsup:

Offline Scotaidh

• Makes own decals
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 01:59:13 pm »
Welcome back!  :) 

I reckon modeling is not dissimilar to Marmite - once the taste is acquired, all hope is lost.  One can only give in gracefully, knowing that only your fellow aficionados will understand.  :)
Ancient Ogre Proverb:
"It's dark in the dark when it's dark."

Offline sandiego89

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 02:03:22 pm »
Welcome back, guess the whole month of December vacation for all American pilots was too god to be true  ;)
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA