Supermarine Foxhound Mk1

Started by zenrat, January 12, 2018, 02:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Supermarine Foxhound Mk1

The Supermarine Foxhound was developed in parallel with the Type 224 as an air cooled insurance policy should the Rolls-Royce Goshawk engine with it's evaporative cooling turn out not be the world beater Rolls-Royce expected it to be.
Supermarine Foxhound Mk1 19 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Foxhound was an all-metal monoplane powered by a J.A.P. Loki 9 cylinder radial engine and armed with a pair of machine guns mounted ahead of the pilot firing through the propeller.
Supermarine Foxhound Mk1 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Designed from the outset as a day interceptor the Foxhound sacrificed armament and fuel load for rate of climb.  In this they were very successful, being fastest to height of all the RAF's service aircraft, however once they got there they couldn't stay there very long and if it came to combat their twin guns didn't cut it in a world where four was rapidly becoming the minimum.
Supermarine Foxhound Mk1 15 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
While pilots loved the little silver hot rod the powers that be were not so keen and it was only purchased in very limited numbers.  The example pictured is in the colours of A flight 92 Squadron based at RAF Chalfont St Giles in August 1937.
Supermarine Foxhound Mk1 11 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Model
Fujimi 1/72 Mitsubishi A5M built OOB and finished with Bare Metal Foil.
Decals from Airfix EE Lightning F-2.
This is my take on Bungle's Project Swapshop concept.
Supermarine Foxhound Mk1 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Sorry for the larger than usual photos.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Sweet! :thumbsup: Looks very natural!

I had a similar idea (Ki-27 in RAF service), in early WWII cammo, though, with black/white undersides. Kit already stashed away (Hobby Boss), but had no drive yet to tackle it.
I might borrow your designation fro my build, though, so that the family grows.  ;D

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Hah, magic!  :thumbsup:

I never made the SwapShop connection until I got down to the pic with the Lightning. A cracking idea!  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thanks guys.  They really are a bugger to photograph when they are that shiny.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

McColm

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Snowtrooper

Looks good, and I like the idea of swapshopping decals & camo over different time periods :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

The Rat

Great NMF on that little beauty!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Fred

Flyer

I had missed this one, love it, looks so right! :thumbsup:

Going to have to get myself a Claude kit sometime, have always liked the shape of it, I find many of the Japanese aircraft of the period and later appealing actually...
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

zenrat

Thanks Brad.
Time hasn't been kind to this one.  The foil hasn't remained looking as good as it did five years ago.
Fred