Yakovlev Yak 28R PDRV Republican Guard

Started by zenrat, January 12, 2018, 02:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Yakovlev Yak 28R - PDRV Republican Guard
Yak 28R PDRV 10 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Yakovlev Yak-28 (Russian: Яковлев Як-28) is a swept wing, turbojet-powered combat aircraft used by the Soviet Union. Produced initially as a tactical bomber, it was also manufactured in reconnaissance, electronic warfare, interceptor, and trainer versions, known by the NATO reporting names Brewer, Firebar, and Maestro respectively. Based on the Yak-129 prototype first flown on 5 March 1958, it began to enter service in 1960.
Yak 28R PDRV 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Yak-28 was first seen by the West at the Tushino air show in 1961.  Western analysts initially believed it to be a fighter rather than an attack aircraft — and a continuation of the Yak-25M, — and it was designated "Flashlight".  After its actual role was realized, the Yak-28 bomber series was redesignated "Brewer".
Yak 28R PDRV 5 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Yak-28 had a large mid-mounted wing, swept at 45 degrees.  The tailplane set halfway up the vertical fin (with cutouts to allow rudder movement).  Slats were fitted on the leading edges and slotted flaps were mounted on the trailing edges of the wings.  The two Tumansky R-11 turbojet engines, initially with 57 kN (12,795 lbf) thrust each, were mounted in pods, similar to the previous Yak-25.  The wing-mounted engines and bicycle-type main landing gear (supplemented by outrigger wheels in fairings near the wingtips) were widely spaced, allowing most of the fuselage to be used for fuel and equipment.  It was primarily subsonic, although Mach 1 could be exceeded at high altitude.
Total production of all Yak-28s was 1,180.
Yak 28R PDRV 3 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Yak 28R was a dedicated tactical reconnaissance version with increased headroom under the pilot´s canopy, increased nose glazing with a sloping rear bulkhead, Initsiativa-2 360-degree ground-mapping radar, and five interchangeable pallets containing various mission equipment fittings.  The prototype first flew in 1963.   A total of 183 were built.
Yak 28R PDRV 9 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Yak 28R's of the People's Democratic Republic of Victoria Republican Guard operated along the border with Greater Eastern Australia as well as providing reconnaissance (on a strictly volunteer basis) for the North during the Vietnamese Civil War.  When stood down from PDRV active service in the 1980s they were all reported scrapped apart from six aircraft gifted to the People's Aviation Museum at Dadswell Bridge.  Of these, one aircraft is maintained on display and in flying condition.  Any questions on the whereabouts of the other five are routinely ignored by the museum's operator, zenrat industries.
Yak 28R PDRV Wide by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Model
Yak 28R PDRV 15 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
1/72 A Model Yak 28R built approximately OOB.   Approximately because I have misplaced the instructions (they'll turn up now) and so used a set from the same manufacturers Yak 28PP which while being similar enough to allow this does have enough differences to make my positioning of some of the lumps, bumps and aerials purely guesswork.
It's an A Model kit which means that it's not going to go together easily.  However, it wasn't too bad.  Take your time and be prepared to adjust things and dry fit and even accept some asymmetry and you'll be fine. In fact, this turned out so much better than I expected that I may drop my "buy no more A Model kits" rule.  Maybe I should build the Yak 28PP first...
Nose gear is made in two parts and didn't look strong enough to support the models weight so I replaced it's central strut with a piece of jumbo paperclip.
Paint is Vallejo and decals are home made.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

What a super job Fred.  :thumbsup:

I love those slipper tanks under the outer wings, are they a standard fit in the kit or did you source them elsewhere? And the open forward crew hatch is a good touch too, not often you see something like that.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Kit, the slipper tanks are in the box but needed a lot of filler to hide the gap at the leading edge.  The hatch is moulded separately and to be honest it was easier to pose it open than to make it fit correctly.  The fact that the glazing is flat while the hatch is curved would also be more obvious if it was closed.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2018, 03:54:34 AM

The fact that the glazing is flat while the hatch is curved would also be more obvious if it was closed.

But then this is an A Model kit of course, they don't want you to have things TOO easy!  ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

The last underside shot demonstartes well why the Yak-28 was nicknamed "The comb" by the crews.

Colorful!  ;D

zenrat

If only I had some hair to comb with it...

The underside blue is Vallejo Andreas Blue which I use as it is IMO close to the blue Australian skies get on hot clear summers days.
Fred

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

That's nice that Fred, I do have a soft spot for the less popular Soviet era stuff. I ha built one version of it too, I put pylons on the slipper tanks and put a pair of Aphids on them, and put some bombs in the weapons bay. Mine has the sold nose too. I quite enjoyed building mine too  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

zenrat

Thanks blokes.
Got any pics Chris?

I may build the second one as a single seat long range interceptor with a heap of big ol' missels.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2018, 08:19:38 PM

I may build the second one as a single seat long range interceptor with a heap of big ol' missels.

The one thing with Soviet types is you can really load them up to the gunnels  :thumbsup:. I must build my IL-40
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2018, 08:19:38 PM
Thanks blokes.
Got any pics Chris?

I should have somewhere, if not it's on the shelf in my lounge

chrisonord

Here you go Fred, no pics of weapons bay for some reason, but I can do another couple if need be.
IMG_2119 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2118 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
IMG_2117 by Chris Hall, on Flickr
Cheers
Chris

Rick Lowe

Y'know, that's a cool looking aircraft. Hadn't realized before, but it kind of looks like a swept-wing Beagle, doesn't it?