Spitfire V Seaplane - Royal Scots Navy, Inverewe, 1944

Started by Doug K, December 28, 2017, 03:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug K

Over in the Alternative History section I posited a different timeline had WW1 been 2 years later, allowing the Home Rule bill of 1914 to progress and resulting in an independent Scotland in a mutual defence pact with the rUK. Given sea lochs and other deep water anchorages requiring defence from marauding long-range Axis bombers, perhaps this could be the ideal answer? After all, the original concept was inspired by Norway's fjords....

I hope to get it built before the end of the GB... work and other interruptions permitting!

102_5718 by doug_alba, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

Looking forward to your interpretation of Scottish markings!  :thumbsup:

Doug K

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 28, 2017, 06:40:32 AM
Looking forward to your interpretation of Scottish markings!  :thumbsup:

Thanks, I know what I want, not sure it'll work - we'll see.
Need some inkjet decals first though!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Doug K

Sorry no build pics, but it's coming, honest!

It's been a very long time since I focussed on 1/72, what little aircraft modelling I've done of late has been 1/48th. It seems very, very small!
Though ironically the air groups of my model ships are 1/144....

Doug K

Inkjet decals a bit iffy, but applied, photos once dry

Doug K

OK everyone, I still haven't decided whether this is good enough for th GB, I am very disappointed by the Humbrol white enamel which I seem to have applied with a trowel instead of my usual hairy stick.

Anyway, the back story can be found in my alternative history post recapped in part below http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,40383.msg754353.html#msg754353

Quote from: Doug K on January 15, 2017, 09:35:04 AM
I've been thinking more about this thread. I started it after the Scottish Independence referendum in 2014, wondering what would have happened if the country had voted otherwise. Following Dizzy's Republic of Scotland build I began thinking again on this. He's right, in this reality the Brexit thing has re-awakened the real-politik of the question once again.

However, there is a less contentious alternative history that will open the options for modelling subjects, which what this is all about!

In 1914 a Home Rule bill was before the UK parliament, this was for both Scotland and Ireland. In our reality it was derailed by WW1 and then led to disaffection in Ireland resulting in the Easter Rising.

But, imagine WW1 had been delayed by a year or two? That the transition to a semi-federal state in the U.K. Was achieved before WW1 and the result of the carnage in the trenches was even greater autonomy in these countries?

So the background to my thinking is that both Scotland & Ireland achieve independence in the late 20s. Both remain in the British Commonwealth until the resumption of hostilities in 1939, the main difference being that in the run-up Scotland & England enter a mutual defence agreement - allowing naval bases at Rosyth & Scapa Flow.

Given history Eire decides to remain Neutral but Scotland enters WW2 along with the Commonwealth (Empire).

So we have a Spitfire V M Floatplane Fighter. B Flight No 1 Fighter Squadron, Royal Scots Navy, Inverewe Seaplane & Flying Boat base 1944.

B Flight was tasked with protection of the allied Flying Boats on the coast of Scotland, aircraft vital to the suppression of Axis carriers and Submarines. For this the largest fighter squadron in the Scots Navy and was split into 10 flights spread from Galloway in the South west to Shetland in the far north. These Spitfires were modified to carry additional fuel for maritime patrols, held within their conveniently large floats and ranged far out into the Atlantic and North Sea. The Photo reece camera regularly used when spotting for Allied Naval forces in the Norwegian Fjords.

Their white camouflage became dirty and worn very quickly (my excuse) however each flight chose an individual crest base on the Scots Clan on who's territory they were based, in this case the Clan MacLeod.

IMG_1386 (2) by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1385 (2) by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1383 (2) by doug_alba, on Flickr

PR19_Kit

Can't see the problem with the paint from here, don't worry about it.

The idea's brilliant and the execution looks superb, well done.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

Looks good to me as well  - interesting backstory and markings. :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Doug K

Quote from: Glenn Gilbertson on January 31, 2018, 02:22:11 PM
Looks good to me as well  - interesting backstory and markings. :thumbsup:

Thanks all, the markings were a subject of debate on my original post. Lots of talk about perhaps using the Rampant Lion etc in the way the Australians use the kangaroo or the Kiwis a Kiwi... :)
However heraldic device is actually the Queen's Flag and would be the equivalent of and English airforce flying the 3 Lion Plantagenate banner or the Irish Aer Chor using the Harp.

So I took my lead from the Irish Celtic boss, on the principle of my back story - both nations becoming ever more independent through the 20s and 30s. The image below is the standard, this was dropped (except for under the wings) during the war to avoid friendly fire and to dull down the otherwise bright roundel (based on the colours of the Scots Saltire). Standard RAF roundel colours were adopted for interoprability.

rsaf decals by doug_alba, on Flickr

I hope to flesh this idea out from my stash, next will be a Spit 22 of No 1 City of Edinburgh Royals Scots Airforce as they were seen during the flypast to mark the coronation of Elizabeth 1st, Queen of Scots in Edinburgh in the late summer of 1953... :)

Loads of other equally daft ideas but the freedom to play here is brilliant!

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Doug K

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 03, 2018, 06:52:25 AM
Nice one Doug ! Looks great in those colours.

:thumbsup:

Thanks, I guess the influence of Fleet Air Arm Atlantic convoys and IJN seaplanes comes through, a bit :)