Author Topic: What say you, lads?  (Read 1971 times)

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: What say you, lads?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2018, 06:44:25 am »
Wet&Dry sanding I think ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2018, 09:56:53 am »
Uh, that's odd. Some thorough sanding and re-painting (you can still use the rattle can paint and apply it with a brush) should do, there's hardly anything else to save the mess.

Besides, I also think that the both colors go together well. Typically you need some contrast to break up the vehicle's outlines, and if the tones are too close to each other, the effect is nil. Looks good to me.

Offline The Rat

• Proud Designated Pervert
  • Rivets? We don't count no stinkin' rivets!
    • http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2018, 04:38:22 pm »
Uh, that's odd. Some thorough sanding and re-painting (you can still use the rattle can paint and apply it with a brush) should do, there's hardly anything else to save the mess.

Yup, that was what I was thinking of. Even if I painted the white area green those marks would still show. Sanding down will be required no matter what.

Besides, I also think that the both colors go together well. Typically you need some contrast to break up the vehicle's outlines, and if the tones are too close to each other, the effect is nil. Looks good to me.

Yeah, there is that. But living in Canada I get to see a lot of snow, and the subtle gradations between blinding white and grey shadows are appealing.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Offline Scotaidh

• Makes own decals
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2018, 01:44:59 am »
I would just leave it.  Call it weathering, or wear-'n'-tear, or the 'good enough' repair of damage, or even just real world 'cheap paint'!  I mean - stuff happens for real, as well as in the modeling world.  Sure, buff it down and re-paint, but at the end of the day I'll bet all of us have some kind of ding or scratch or "anomaly" on our vehicles - some thing not worth the expense of fixing.

So just make up a back story for anyone who asks "What is that?"  Close encounter with Ground Support Equipment; a clumbo with an aluminum ladder; termites.  ;)
Ancient Ogre Proverb:
"It's dark in the dark when it's dark."

Offline KiwiZac

• The Zac Attack is Back!
  • aka K5054NZ, proud Whiffer since 2005
    • Zac on Facebook
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2018, 02:20:00 am »
I mean - stuff happens for real, as well as in the modeling world.  Sure, buff it down and re-paint, but at the end of the day I'll bet all of us have some kind of ding or scratch or "anomaly" on our vehicles - some thing not worth the expense of fixing.
One of my jobs at the local aircraft engineering firm was mixing and applying special coating to the belly of company planes...that was never stressful when I got the mix wrong and it wasn't dry when they left!
I find it very hard to believe Academy would make a mistake like that he said sarcastically...