Author Topic: Big Silver Kite  (Read 136 times)

Offline rickshaw

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
Re: Big Silver Kite
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:26:55 am »
Wonderful article and pics there, thanks for posting Brian.  :thumbsup:

I like the way they say it was easier to fly than to taxi.  ;D

A silver Lysander looks weird to UK eyes as we're so used to seeing the Shuttleworth Lysander which is black!

Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 02:02:39 am »
I always thought this was a huge machine (based on building the 1/32 Matchbox kit as a kid) but standing next to the stripped fuselage at Cosford I realised it wasn't that big. I certainly struggle to see how they once managed to squeeze 4 people in the rear seat for an escape from Occupied France.

Offline loupgarou

• Targeted for assassination by JMNs
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 05:05:41 am »
I always thought this was a huge machine (based on building the 1/32 Matchbox kit as a kid) but standing next to the stripped fuselage at Cosford I realised it wasn't that big. I certainly struggle to see how they once managed to squeeze 4 people in the rear seat for an escape from Occupied France.

I think that the rear seat was removed and people sat on luggage. In the rear fuselage there is a not so small space.
Anyway, more than "escape from France", it was a quite regular shuttle service, with people coming and going on various business, resistance, sabotage, politics.
"We landed by moonlight" , by Hugh Verity, is a very interesting history of those operations.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.