S-38 & B2

Started by ericr, December 05, 2017, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericr

how (un)reasonable would this be ?

(I can't exactly remember where this S-38 hull come from ... maybe it was a spare in the kit I built some years ago?)
(in the giraffe livery, of course)

zenrat

Cool.  Like a batboatplane.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Looks a good idea to me too.

Where DID the S-38 kit come from anyway? I've only ever seen a 1/72 vacform of the S-38 before, but it was SO complicated to build.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ericr

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 05, 2017, 03:56:31 PM
Looks a good idea to me too.

Where DID the S-38 kit come from anyway? I've only ever seen a 1/72 vacform of the S-38 before, but it was SO complicated to build.

I had a CMK resin kit, reasonably buildable, for my limited skills

and it was actually a zebra (the giraffe was the S39)

ericr

a bit of progress :

the B2 is a half-metal diecast, but only for the central top part, the rest isplastic, easier to work with ...
the engine too are plastic, and could be extracted and reused

the wingtip floats come from a resin Dujin SOC Seamew ...

PR19_Kit

That's looking promising already.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info on the S-38 kit, I may look for one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Tophe

Wow! I thought "impossible" to match those parts, but it seems you are going to succeed, incredibly! :thumbsup: :bow:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

sandiego89

Main downside would be loosing your low observabilty/radar cross section- the main reason for the B-2. The boat hull is somewhat slab sided and the step would both create large radar returns. So with the drag you would wind up with an even slower B-2 (the B-2 is not fast) and would lose the stealth aspects. I would also worry about the effects of sea spray on the delicate stealth coatings. Sorry to sound like a wet blanket- but it would look neat
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

But just because some of it looks like a B-2 doesn't meant that it's anything to do with being stealthy.

Indeed, it may be just a co-incidence that it looks like a B-2.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Fascinating!!  This is looking very cool so far... I like the idea and by golly... I remember just mentioning a day or two ago the possibility of doing a flying wing boat plane in my blog and sure enough if you aren't here making one. (I dismissed the idea outright as I haven't the skill level, yet)  I salute you for hopping on that grenade, Sir! ( ;D)
-Sprues McDuck-

jcf

PR19_Kit

Ah, the Bat Boat. I had a vacform of one of them but it was way beyond my skills in the rigging dept. Nice looking aircraft.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 06, 2017, 07:14:27 PM
Bat-Boat redux.  :thumbsup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_Bat_Boat

I like that.
Apart from a hull I have enough spare parts to knock up something like that.  And the hull could be scratched up as it's all single radius curves by the look of it.
I'll have to get fiddling with cardboard templates.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..