A-6 SEA Experimental Scheme

Started by tc2324, November 26, 2017, 02:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

I going stick a pin in this one and say it`s done. I had planned to shorten the rod and place a blurred Vietnam base underneath it, but on hindsight, I`ll save that for something else. 

I based the scheme on this photo....,

...... showing an A-6A from VA-85 in SEA in July 1965.

Now I`ve seen a number of A-6`s in various experimental schemes from the era, but never with this weird USN intermediate blue underside. Now you could argue that the exposure of the photo plays a big part in the shades and you would be absolutely correct. Saying that, I thought it would be fun to just go with the flow and see what happens.

This build is certainly not one of my best, but it gave me a bit of much needed experience in practicing/recreating bomb drops as well as making an in-flight A-6 which both real world and what if enthusiasts may appreciate.   

Thanks for looking.
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

DogfighterZen

Looks very good! I've always loved a good in-flight display an this one fits in with the best i've seen so far, great work! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

chrisonord

Looks bob on in that colour scheme to me  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Very cool find - I've never seen such a paint scheme either. All USN machines from the cammo experiments I know just had their upper surfaces painted over with greens, SEA or SAC colors - but they all retained their bare white USN undersides, sometimes with the waterline and some Light Gull Grey visible. And it must be some intermediate blue (looks like the early USN blue grey from WWII to me? Upper surface could be FS 34079), since the white drop tanks on the pic give a good reference? Even if it was fake it looks very good - and your build does it good justice! Love the bombs' arrangement, too, neat idea and great execution.  :thumbsup:

Makes me wish to try this or a similar scheme on a Skyhawk.  :angel:

As a side note, a quick web search revealed another version of the pic (on wikipedia), more reddish and claiming that this was a VA-42 machine:

TheChronicOne

Very cool!!! Any time someone can find a way to put blue on an aircraft I'm all for it.  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Very nice, particularly like the way you have the bombs as "just dropped"  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

b29r

Very sharp, tc!  A neat scheme and display, and I really like the bomb drop.  I'm betting that was tricky to do ;)

Best regards,
Kem

tc2324

Thank you all for the kind comments chaps.  :thumbsup:

Dizzy, looks like your correct. I looked at a few different references during the build, including profiles and decals sheets, and they all claimed this is a VA-65 machine so I went with that.

Yet now checking up the Bu.no, it was indeed with VA-42 at the time of this picture being taken.

I also found out that this A-6 was upgraded to an A-6E and involved in a fatal aircraft collision in the Atlantic destroying the aircraft in the mid 70`s. (Should of done my homework better...)
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Dizzyfugu

Well, it's a whif, and IMHO the real world reference does not matter much. AFAIK many USN units made cammo trials with different types of aircraft and patterns - it's the impression that counts (at least to me), and from this point of view it's a very good representation of the topic.  :thumbsup:

Snowtrooper

The experimental camo schemes from Vietnam War are seriously underrepresented, and this one is a well executed model of one, with or without whiffiness :thumbsup:

The falling bombs are a nice touch too.