Supermarine Stiletto F1

Started by 63cpe, November 23, 2017, 01:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

I guess you all know the Supermarine Swift evolved into a supersonic fighter, the Supermarine Stiletto.

Here's my impression on the Stiletto in it's early F1 version.

IMG_20171123_192425537 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20171123_192436161 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20171123_192459823 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20171123_192514531 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20171123_192602996 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20171123_192618374 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Sorry for the crappy pictures taken my my mobile phone. I'll finish this model tomorrow and later add Fairey Fireflash missiles to it, then take pictures with my camera.

Hope you like it!
David

PR19_Kit

The pics look anything but crappy to me, the Stiletto looks amazing.  :thumbsup:

Have you melded an F-102 with a Swift perchance? I'd have never have thought that'd work, but it REALLY does!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

royabulgaf

Yes, it does look good.  BTW, do a search for Supermarine 553.  It's a real Supermarine paper project,  resembling a MiG 21/Swift combo.    Hey, this will give me something to do with my Testor's Swifts.
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

63cpe

Thanks! And yes, it's a really ancient Revell box series model of a F-102A (1/96-ish) I bought in a bulk of leftover models. Cleaned it up, got all paint off by using Natrium hydroxide and transplanted the cockpit, exhaust, Wings (& undercarriage), vertical and horizontal tail from the new Airfix Swift.

The Airfix model of the Swift is really a beauty, but IMHO the wings look far more modern than the body of the swift. So opted for a better looking body. The slightly smaller than 1/72 body of the F-102 fitted the bill.

David

Old Wombat

The intakes give it a slight Dassault look, to me. :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

I've already seen the pics on Flickr, and I like the concept. Looks a lot like the XF-90 (which is not bad at all), and obviously Supermarine had troubles getting the thing supersonic since thy added arodynamic fairings to the tail, as practiced on the F-102. Way cool, the concept matches the time frame very well.  :thumbsup:
Some shock cones or splitter plates in the air intakes woudl make it perfect, IMHO.  ;)

I also recognize an airfield diorama print from Noy in Israel?

kitbasher

Quote from: royabulgaf on November 23, 2017, 06:01:20 PM
Yes, it does look good.  BTW, do a search for Supermarine 553.  It's a real Supermarine paper project,  resembling a MiG 21/Swift combo.    Hey, this will give me something to do with my Testor's Swifts.

Definitely some Miggery and Swiftishery going on with the 553.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

63cpe

Your right Dizzy. The intakes could use splitterplates, maybe I can add them later. Thanks!
They were'nt in the ancient Revell F-102 (or got lost) :banghead:

The airfield diorama print is from Noy, don't know if it's in Israel

David

PR19_Kit

I don't think the splitter plates were in the early versions of the box scale F-102, I built one for my LHS back then and it looked weird without them compared to pics of the real thing.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

That looks great! Just the sort of thing they were drawing back then and might well have built. Nice one! :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

63cpe

Aha, so they were never included....OK, thanks. I'll add them later.

PR19_Kit

The later 1/48 Revell kit, the one with the big fin and retractable gear worked by opening the canopy (!) did have splitters, as did the even later 1/72 ex-Monogram kit, but it doesn't look as if the earlier, 1/78 scale kit ever did have them.

But then the real XF-102 didn't either.  ;D

Regards
Kit

63cpe

The model I butchered might as wel have been a XF-102 as it had a rather small tail and no case X or XX wings... :unsure:

Anyway, splitters plates are coming up!
:thumbsup:

chrisonord

I like the look of this, looks like something from the RAF secret jets book I have, and very convincing. :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

63cpe

Thanks!

Maybe I'll get it finished (splitter plates and fireflash rockets underwings, weathered etc..) in 2018 for the 100 years RAF festivities...