DONE @p.4 +++ Dornier Do 319 B-1 "Seeschwalbe", Luftwaffe, mid 1945

Started by Dizzyfugu, November 20, 2017, 10:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Glad you like it!   :lol:

Things keep moving with more updates, now with makeshift upper stripe cammo added, and fake side windows, created with die-punched decal circles in silver and black.

Dornier Do 319 "Seeschwalbe" jet flying boat (Whif/Smer kit conversion) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

More or less done this morning, and the Do 319 actually stands on its three legs. Nice, low stance.  :lol:

Dizzyfugu

Despite some health issues I did the photo shooting for the Do 319 yesterday. Background still needs to be written, though.

Dizzyfugu

Here we are, finally: I present to you an 1:72 model of the Dornier Do 319 B-1 'Seeschwalbe'; aircraft '(P7)+O(A)' of the Deutsche Luftwaffe's SAGr 129 Stab z.b.V.; operated in the Northern Atlantic, summer 1945.

1:72 Dornier Do 319 B-1 'Seeschwalbe'; aircraft '(P7)+O(A)' of the Deutsche Luftwaffe's SAGr 129 Stab z.b.V.; operated in the Northern Atlantic, summer 1945 (Whif/Smer kit conversion)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Dornier Do 319 B-1 'Seeschwalbe'; aircraft '(P7)+O(A)' of the Deutsche Luftwaffe's SAGr 129 Stab z.b.V.; operated in the Northern Atlantic, summer 1945 (Whif/Smer kit conversion)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some background:
The Dornier Do 319 was directly inspired by the (modest) successes experienced by the Messerschmitt Me 262 fighter, the world's first operational jet-powered fighter aircraft. Design work started before World War II began, but problems with engines, metallurgy and top-level interference kept the aircraft from operational status with the Luftwaffe until mid-1944.

>
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

However, when it became clear that the new jet engine carried the potential for aircraft that were faster than piston engine counterparts, the German Navy urged the Reichsluftfahrtministerium (RLM) to develop an amphibian fighter, attack and reconnaissance aircraft. This was not to be a navalized Me 262 (which was regarded as impossible due to the aircraft's layout with low wings and underslung engine nacelles, and added floats would have ruined the aircraft's aerodynamics, too), but rather a dedicated single-seat jet aircraft. This new design was to be either operated from catapults (replacing the Marine's standard on-board aircraft, the Arado Ar 196 floatplane) or, with foldable wings, from submarines with water-tight hangars. This concept had already been discussed in the mid-late 1930s, when German class III submarines were to be outfitted with such compartments – but at that time for small motorboats only, for covert landing operations, and no submarine was converted accordingly. But the concept still found a lot of attention.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dornier was tasked with the development of such an aircraft, based on the experience gained with the Me 262 and its innovative means of propulsion. Dornier realized that the new turbojet engine presented an opportunity to overcome the drawback of floatplanes if it was possible to combine the light jet engine with a streamlined flying boat hull, which would impose only a small aerodynamic penalty. Such an aircraft could still be at least on par with piston-engine land-based aircraft.

Using aerodynamic research data from the Messerschmitt fighter, Dornier conceived a compact flying boat with shoulder-mounted gull wings, carried by a narrow pylon behind the single seat cockpit. The engine nacelles were placed on the wings' upper sides, as far away from spray water as possible. Through this layout, however, stabilizer floats would have necessitated very long and draggy struts, and the relatively thin, swept wings did not allow a (favored) retracting mechanism.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

As a consequence, the aircraft was designed with Dornier's trademark stub-wing floats, which added uplift in both water and air and offered, despite a permanent drag penalty, a convenient amount of space for extra fuel and the wells for a fully retractable landing/beaching gear, which made the aircraft fully amphibious and independent from a beaching trolley. Armament consisted of four 30mm MK 108 machine guns in the aircraft's nose section, and the aircraft's main task would be ground attack, air defense and, as a secondary mission, fast tactical reconnaissance.

Dornier first presented the initial concept to the RLM in mid-1943. Performance with two Junkers Jumo 004 axial-flow turbojet engines was – naturally – lower than the clean Me 262 fighter, but still impressive. The Me 262 was supposed to achieve a maximum speed of 900 km/h (559 mph), while the Dornier aircraft, with basically the same engines, was expected to have a top speed of 520 mph at 40,000 ft. But this was still regarded as sufficient, and the project was officially given the RLM's type number 319. Two prototypes were built (under the designation Do 319 A-0), the first one making its maiden flight in February 1944.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

However, at that time the German navy had lost much of its power and sovereignty, and more and more resources had to be allocated to defense projects. As a consequence, the Do 319 as a combat aircraft (originally designated Do 319 A) became a secondary priority only, and the original aircraft was cancelled. Still, the small amphibious aircraft attained a lot of interest through the type's potential as a fast reconnaissance plane and for special purpose transport duties – namely as a personal transport for high-ranking officials and for covert operations behind enemy lines and at foreign shores – was discovered and the type nevertheless ordered into small-scale production.

As a consequence and as an adaptation of the airframe to its new role, the Do 319's design was modified: the fuselage behind the cockpit was widened into a compartment for passengers, cargo or other equipment. The cabin could hold up to two passengers, sitting vis-à-vis, and it was accessible through a watertight door on each side above the stub floats. The cabin was open to the cockpit in front of it, but the opening was blocked if the front passenger seat was in place. Alternatively, up to 300 kg (660 lb) of cargo or photo equipment could be carried, and one or both seats could also be replaced by internal auxiliary tanks. The provision for the Do 319 A's cannon armament was retained, but the weapons were rarely mounted in order to save weight.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

In this form, and now designated Do 319 B and christened "Seeschwalbe", the aircraft entered service with the Luftwaffe and the Kriegsmarine on a limited scale. Most machines were exclusively assigned to staff units and reserved for special missions like liaison duties for high ranking officials, but they were also used in recce and other special missions. At least one Do 319 B was shot down over the American east coast, probably while deploying German agents from a submarine. How the aircraft with its limited range itself could come close to American shores remains a mystery until today, since Germany did not build or operate submarine aircraft carriers.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Production numbers remained low, though, reaching roundabout 20 aircraft (even this number is uncertain) until the end of the war, and no Do 319 survived the hostilities.

General characteristics:
    Crew: 1 pilot plus up to 2 passengers
    Length: 10.80 m (35 ft 4 1/2 in)
    Wingspan: 12.60 m (41 ft 6 in)
    Height: 3.78 m (12 ft 4 1/2 in)
    Wing area: 26.8 m² (288 ft²)
    Aspect ratio: 7.32
    Empty weight: 4,120 kg (9,075 lb)
    Loaded weight: 6,830 kg (15,044 lb)
    Max. take-off weight: 7,385 kg (16,266 lb)

Powerplant:
    2× Junkers Jumo 004 B-1 turbojets, 8.8 kN (1,980 lbf) each

Performance:
    Maximum speed: 820 km/h (510 mph)
    Range: 1,200 km (652 mi)
          2,100 km (1,300 mi) with extra internal fuel cells
    Service ceiling: 10,850 m (35,538 ft)
    Rate of climb: 1,000 m/min (At max weight of 7,130 kg) (3,275 ft/min)

Armament:
    Provisions for 4× 30 mm MK 108 cannon in the nose, but rarely mounted

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

A messy project, in many ways, but I am happy with result. Most stunning is IMHO the fact that all major parts for this compact flying boat actually come from a single, simple Me 262 kit – but visually there's not much of the left from the jet fighter. But it's also amazing that the proportions look right, and the whole thing quite plausible and Dornier-esque! Turned out better than expected.

PR19_Kit

That's AMAZING Thomas, and the backstory is very ingenious indeed.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I foresee fame amongst your FaceBook fans.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 04, 2017, 12:08:14 PM
That's AMAZING Thomas, and the backstory is very ingenious indeed.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I foresee fame amongst your FaceBook fans.  ;D ;)

I wonder if your russian or ukrainian followers will try to explain it as a real plane!  :rolleyes:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot, glad you like it.  :cheers: But I am curious, too, where else this one might pop up?

Anyway, I find it amazing that this still is mostly a standard Me 262 kit, just with a few donor parts (but lots of PSR, though). Turned out and looks better and more conclusive than I expected!

perttime

I'm not usually into seaplanes but this one is something else  :thumbsup:

If the war situation allows, it could find use in the Mediterranean. The Adriatic and Aegean, for example.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.