N.A. Mustang P-51S, U.S. Navy, Korean War (DONE! PICS on Page 3)

Started by TheChronicOne, November 01, 2017, 03:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Going to steal some pontoons from a Letov S-328 and glue 'em on a 'Stang.  ;D

Floats are from the old KP kit and the Mustang is from the old Airfix Blue nose kit.

I'll have to order in the transfers but I have some picked out:

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice and simple. All over blue and not many transfers. I also have some other stuff picked out for a pre-war color scheme of US Army but I have a lot on my plate right now and may not get to it. We'll see!
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Let's get some pictures going!

Nothing much to say, just a little proof that I haven't worked on this contraption. That, and it's always fun to see pictures!  :lol:

I'm not really sure when I'll even start on this, but first thing will be to separate the parts I'm using from the ones I won't. Then I'll just start building as usual. This should be pretty straight forward. Unlike a big ol' kitbash mix up, all that I'm doing here is going to build the 'Stang as it would be in flight, yet with the gaps around the gear doors filled in, and then adding the pontoons.  Those will be built as normal as well. Only modification may be to shorten some of the legs or whatever they're called. No headache inducing mysteries here...   :mellow: :mellow:

That's all for now! Thanks for looking.

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Good to see the Letov comes with wheels in the box, so there's a chance of it making its own appearance one day.

Neat idea, work harder to get to it! :angry:

;) ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

PR19_Kit

Oooooh, a '67 GT350, drool, drool.  :wub: :wub:

Is it a '67? Some seemed to have the twin hood scoops right forward and some had them back a bit as in your pic.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 01, 2017, 05:26:07 PM
Good to see the Letov comes with wheels in the box, so there's a chance of it making its own appearance one day.

Neat idea, work harder to get to it! :angry:

;) ;D

;D ;D ;D

Roger that! 

I was pleasantly surprised when I got the kit in the mail. I knew from the listing that it came with extra transfers for something or other. I don't know anything about these plane but they turned out to be for a land based version and so I was very glad to see the floats still w/ the kit anyway. I knew right then that I was going to take the floats to put on something else!

With the stuff left over I get to make this:

So, I still am left with a complete kit! It's nice to be able to steal parts from something and leave it still 100% intact.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 01, 2017, 05:51:23 PM
Oooooh, a '67 GT350, drool, drool.  :wub: :wub:

Is it a '67? Some seemed to have the twin hood scoops right forward and some had them back a bit as in your pic.

Also a COBRA!!!  Gotta love it. I have a "well to do" cousin that has one or two or three of these types of things, lucky @%$%$/.  Met Carol Shelby even!  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

I will be interested to see a P-51D Mustang on twin-floats. :thumbsup:
This is completing (if I remember well, from years ago) Glenn's P-51D with single float, and ericr's P-82 with twin-floats. :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

Glad to be adding to a trifecta!!   <_< :lol:

Finally some progress... Wings are assembled. I only needed to sand the leading edges and I will try to leave the rest alone along the other joins. Next up on these will be to add the closed gear doors. Let's all hope they actually fit!  ;D

Cockpit interior and pilot painted up in reasonably accurate colors suitable for a slightly out-of-whack alternate timeline.

Floats are together, as well, but not sanded on yet. I'll need to do that before I begin the process of attaching the legs and support structure.

Yes I put wildly out of scale black dots on the dude's eyes like I did last time because I think it's CUTE and who gives a damn.  :wub: :wub: :wub: ;D

Anyway. . . .    ;D   I'm going to keep on trucking. I just turned on some Netlfix show about the unabomber, have supper cooking, and cracked open a beer. Having a grand ol' time working on this right now. Been about a week or more since I sat down and worked on models other than one 5 minute session and one 15-20 minute session.

The plan is to get the guts glued in and go ahead and close up the fuselage halves. After that, my focus turns to them gear doors. . .   :thumbsup:

-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

Thanks, brotha, will do..   :mellow:

I called an end to the building after that point, but, I did indeed glue the fuselage halves together and even do a good deal of sanding/filing on the seams. One portion of a seam, on the radiator intake, was wide and had a valley to it so I simply poured more glue into it and that should suffice. I'll sand it away soon and then it will be in good shape.

I didn't get to the gear doors today like I wanted to, because of the fuselage work, but that's ok! At least the time wasn't wasted.

I'm still apprehensive about building and then fitting the float structure but am looking forward to it. This is the first floatplane/seaplane of any type I've ever built, and a kitbash to boot!  :o :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

strobez

I'm digging this.  She's gonna be a beauty, I can tell.
Thanks!

Greg

Old Wombat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 09, 2017, 08:56:39 PM
I'm still apprehensive about building and then fitting the float structure but am looking forward to it. This is the first floatplane/seaplane of any type I've ever built, and a kitbash to boot!  :o :lol:

Have faith, young Padawan! The Force is strong within you! Feel the Force! Use the Force! :blink:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Thanks, gents.  :mellow:

We'll see just how strong the force is at some point tomorrow, I'd imagine. By then I should have not only the floats built up, but also the wings on the plane proper so that I can begin the dry fitting process. I already did some to make sure things weren't just SUPER out of alignment (they weren't , but I was worried a bit about things like the radiator intake).

I HOPE I don't have to do ANYTHING to them and I can just glue dem bad boyz right on.  ;D ;D   Gotten kind of lucky on the last two kitbashing efforts as the parts all matched up well but my luck can't hold out forever.  :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-