Arado Ar 555

Started by seadude, September 24, 2017, 09:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

I have the 1/72 scale Arado Ar 555 model kit at home. This "might" be my next project after I finish building a Japanese Horten 229.
I could use some suggestions on what to whif this into? Anybody got any ideas?

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

TomZ

Post war Argentinian bomber?

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Steel Penguin

flip the tails over and a jet hydroplane?
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Put bigger engines on it, I've always thought that bunch they have on there look far too small for the job.

Oh yes, you could extend the wings perhaps?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

ive built the revell kit a few years ago, the Ar.555 one of my favorite Luft46 aircraft.
i have another one and im planning on replacing the 6 Jumo 004's with 2 BMW 018 (or 2 Junkers Jumo 012) engines.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

chrisonord

I did one for the cartel as a night bomber, I put 2 large podded jet engines, Mig 21 engines, (sorry for the lack of technical info on their correct name  :unsure:) and put these under the wings where they change angle. The gap where the originals went has a pod containing some short range rear facing air to air missiles. I want to do one as a submarine, and also put the front fusepage and cockpit of an IL-28 Beagle on one as it is the same width.
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Squizzette

Perhaps put some "pusher" type turboprops on it and turn it in to a Marineflieger Maritime Patroller. Extra lumps and bumps and a mad boom out the back :)

I reckon the Fleet Air Arm guys that helped them set up might have even suggested a version for the a British MPA  :rolleyes:
"So many ideas, so little talent" ;)

NARSES2

I've 2 in the stash and one id definitely earmarked for post war French A.F., but with bigger/less engines No idea re the other.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I have one in my stash which I'm thinking about turning into a 1/48 single-seat fighter, although an Australian-built "Vulcan" equivalent, with 4 × Bristol Olympus' or 4 x RR Avons, is closing in the race.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

seadude

Due to limited supplies (Paints, decals), I can only think of two whiffing options for this kit:

a) Build and paint it in silver or steel color and put it in late 1940's USAF markings as if the U.S. had captured it during WW2 and took it back to the U.S. for flight testing and experimentation (or production).

b) Same thing as above, but put it in Soviet markings as if the Soviets had captured it during WW2 and are using it for future Soviet bomber studies or whatever.

I'm kinda leaning towards option B. ;)
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

NARSES2

I think either would be good, but my personal preference would be as a USAF test aircraft.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

IIRC, option A had been realized one or two years ago. Did that build not even win a Whiffie? Looked cool as an US bomber, like a little B-36 brother.

BTW, Sweden is also always an option for creative aircraft designs...  :rolleyes:

zenrat

Bury the engines in the trailing edge and scratchbuild "Vulcan" intakes in the leading edge.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

If you're going to do it as USAF in Natural Metal, I think some sections in Dayglo Red - or whatever the colour was - as per the RW test aircraft out of Muroc/Edwards would look good.
And it would break up the acres of Silver, if you want that sort of thing.

pirx