Turning Twin - RAF Mustang VI, Operation Firedog, Malaya

Started by CammNut, September 16, 2017, 01:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CammNut

When heat and humidity caused dangerous delamination of the bonded wooden airframes of its de Havilland Mosquitos during Operation Firedog in post-war Malaya, the RAF urgently needed a ground-attack aircraft able to withstand the steamy climate. The result was the acquisition of two squadrons of Rolls-Royce Merlin-powered North American F-82 Twin Mustangs, known as Mustang VIs in RAF service.

Mustang VI-0 by TheWoracle

This is the Monogram 1/72 F-82 kit with 5mm plugs forward of the cockpits to stretch the noses and resin Merlin power eggs. I turned the blades on one prop to make it rotate, correctly, in the direction opposite to the other one. (I did it twice in fact, as the first time I stuck the blades back on the same way I took them off - duh!).

Mustang VI-6 by TheWoracle

The four-pack rocket rails are modelled on those included in Airfix's new 1/72 Beaufighter TF.10 Operation Firedog kit - I say modelled because I didn't want to steal the ones from the kit as I plan to build that one some day soon...ish.

Mustang VI-3 by TheWoracle

The grey-over-black colour scheme is that carried by RAF Bristol Beaufighters and Brigands in Operation Firedog. The markings come from Freightdog's Brits Abroad Pt2 decal sheet and were very good to work with.

Mustang VI-4 by TheWoracle

Mustang VI-5 by TheWoracle

The Monogram kit is prehistoric, with raised panel lines and sliding canopies, but it goes together okay and I was able to remove the seams without losing too much of the surface detail. And I do think it looks rather smart in that scheme!

Mustang VI-7 by TheWoracle

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

andrewj

Nice , very nice and in my favourite post war colour scheme , whats not to like ?

Andrew

comrade harps

Whatever.

The Wooksta!

I'm going to have to steal that, although possibly in DSG/DG/PRU Blue.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Nice.
:thumbsup:
Could you have fitted another 4 rockets on the centreline?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Got to agree with everyone else, just a gorgeous model. I've got similar plans with a bunch of F-82's I've got, Merlin and Griffon powered. Only it's replacing the Hornet, not the Mosquito. Got a couple started and working on doing some decent propellers for them. The Merlins I'm saying that was used were what was on the Hornet, I might even use the Hornet props, but the Griffon version will have contra-props.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

CammNut

Thanks folks.

Ah, the rockets, Zenrat. My choice would have been a third set on the centerline. The rails are made from simple I-section plastic rod, but I didn't have any more fat-headed rockets to hand. These rockets came from a Valor Brigand kit, which provided rockets and rails, but no moulded-in locating points - so they were never going to get used!

If I come upon more of the right kind of rockets in my endeavors (the ones on the Airfix Beaufighter TF.10 being off-limits to whiffery), I may yet replace the solitary-looking bomb (which came with the F-82 kit).

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Dizzyfugu

Now that's a pretty one!  :thumbsup:

Whiffies nomination well deserved!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.