MiG-37B Ferret-E "Blood Wolves" Squadron

Started by seadude, September 06, 2017, 11:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Getting this spot ready for my next project which will start this coming weekend.  :thumbsup:  Wait until you guys see the crazy paint scheme I have planned for this one.  ;D  ;D  ;D  The bottom of the aircraft will be all black. But the top of the aircraft............  ;)  :rolleyes:  :angel:

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

sandiego89

I think I recall that this kit actually caused a bit of a pause with those involved in the F-117 program as it looked much more like the stealth fighter than the gently curved F-19 "stealth fighter" kit. Some were worried there had been a leak.  The angled contours, canted tail, inlets and exhaust are much closer to the F-117.  Most, including Clancy in Red Storm Rising surmised a curved design.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

Interesting. I have never seen one of these moulded in grey? The only kits I know/have built were/are black? Where did you get this kit from?

Anyway, a MiG-37 is always a nice topic, the kit has a lot of potential, both building- and painting-wise.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 07, 2017, 12:31:45 AM
Interesting. I have never seen one of these moulded in grey? The only kits I know/have built were/are black? Where did you get this kit from?...

We had this discussion during the Soviet GB.  The one I built (Italeri) was moulded in grey and someone made the same observation.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

seadude

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 07, 2017, 12:31:45 AM
Interesting. I have never seen one of these moulded in grey? The only kits I know/have built were/are black? Where did you get this kit from?

Anyway, a MiG-37 is always a nice topic, the kit has a lot of potential, both building- and painting-wise.  :thumbsup:

The kit shown in this thread I had bought on Amazon. I also have a 1/48 scale MiG-37B at home too and that one is molded in black plastic I believe.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

DogfighterZen

The kit i built in the Soviet GB was also molded in grey.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

seadude

Two sneak peek pics for now. I hope to have this bird finished this coming weekend and flying the unfriendly skies.  :wacko:
Top still needs a second coat of red. Bottom needs to be finished painted black, and the landing gear bays need a little touchup. ;)

seadude

FINISHED!  :thumbsup:  I know it looks kinda plain without much decals and markings, but a stealth aircraft won't have much when flying at night. You don't want to be recognized by your enemies.  ;)
Anyway...........here's my What If build of a 1/72 scale Italeri MiG-37B Ferret-E into a fictional Ace Combat video game aircraft. The paint job is based slightly on a fictional Ace Combat artwork I saw on the Internet.
https://orig00.deviantart.net/deac/f/2014/034/7/1/ifx_25s_6_view_falken_by_haryopanji-d7513b3.jpg
Although the artwork is showing the "Wardog" squadron scheme and markings, I did not have any Wardog unit decal markings to put on the model. So I substituted some extra Warwolves Squadron markings from my previous Hasegawa ASF-X Shinden II model and based my MiG-37 with a fictional "Blood Wolves Squadron" instead hence the red color of the aircraft and wolf decal markings.

Anything else you want to know, just ask!  :thumbsup:

seadude

Would you believe all the aircraft in this pic are 1/72? Especially the red MiG-37?  :o  Damn, that MiG is small!  ;D

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Fantastic stuff!!!!    And yeah... that IS small... I had no idea. I figured it was about the same size as the others.

Anyway, I love it... Ace Combat is such a joy... the games (most of them) are pure fun and the planes are cool. Nice treatment of the source material and excellent whiffery.  :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

seadude

Maybe tomorrow or next week, I'll go through my extra decal stash and see what else I can put on the aircraft. Still looks a bit plain. Wish I knew of what else I could add? :(  :-\

I do like the wolf emblem decal in this pic though. ;) I used a spare 1/72 scale Japanese WWII roundel, then put the wolf insignia on top of it to make it look like the wolf was howling at a "blood red" moon, which is very fitting since the squadron name is the Blood Wolves.  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

seadude

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 17, 2017, 01:41:39 AM
Interesting colour choice. :thumbsup:

I thought so too. ;)  Rather than Testor Insignia Red for the top, I had thought about possibly a darker "blood red" such as Tamiya XF-9 Hull Red. But........the Insignia Red won out and I like it better.
I searched through my entire extra decal stash last night and there's nothing extra I can use on the model for a little extra "detail" to cover up so much of the "empty space" on the aircraft. :(  If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.

CammNut

Looks good - I usually just use stencils and warning markings to fill out "sparse" schemes