SBY 2202 Yunagi - modified

Started by sykotik, September 02, 2017, 09:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sykotik

Hi again all

I have decided to add this build to the GB as my second entry. Its the 1/1000 Bandai "Yunagi" from the new SBY series 2202. Essentially, it's the exact same kit as the 2199 "Kirishima" just different colours.
It's a little bland on surface detail, so I have decided to start to add my own.
The whole ship is just over 20cm long and 4 cm wide, so it's certainly not large

I only just started this so it's well within the rules  :thumbsup:

Here's where I am up to currently

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WTNpu9]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WW5diB]

well, that's it for now but I'll post some more over the next few days
Thanks for looking
Si

NARSES2

:o :o :o Flipping 'eck, that's tiny. Amazing work
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Said similarly elsewhere: Awesome detail work! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sykotik

Thanks guys  :thumbsup:

Time for an update
Spent a good solid few hours on this last night and accomplished a fair bit for a change. Got most of the surface detail sorted and will now look to get the lighting all sorted and final construction happening. It's a small kit so that are not that many pieces 
I'm going to try out a new method of painting using an extraction fan filter and see if I can't get a more mottled finish with it.
In the mean time, here's what I managed to get done:

Everything at the moment is just push held - nothing glued. Its one reason I love Bandai kits - half the time you don't even need glue!!

Anyways, will leave it at that, but as always, thanks for looking
Si

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

strobez

I know the GBs are not really a competition... but I can't shake the feeling that sykotik is like an NBA basketball player who hangs around the park on weekends and plays ina few pickup games on a lark.

That tiny little thing is already amazing! It wouldn't surprise me if it was wired for sound...  :-\
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Only sound?  I think it'll have anti-grav as well.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sykotik

thanks guys - its very kind of you to say. I don't class myself that highly though. I am just a bloke who likes to put plastic kits together with a smidge of OCD thrown in there

Time for an update. The surface detail is all done now and it's ready for painting! I will begin this process later this afternoon or tonight
I've used Maskol for the main windows and exterior SMD's but will remove the window masks and put over a light covering of the base colour once everything else is done so I won't loose too much luminosity (at least - that's the plan)

The engine nozzle is missing from the pics but it's there. I cut out a disc of frosted clear plastic to help disperse the light for the engine LED. Hope it works!

More pics later
As always, thanks for looking
Si

jalles

This is looking great!  I can't wait to see all those little details blended in once it's painted.  I'm sure the LED lighting is going to look amazing!

NARSES2

This GB has produced some astounding entries and this is one of them  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

strobez

This just gave me the inspiration and an idea to up my game... let's see if i can pull it off half as well. :)
Thanks!

Greg

Old Wombat

I've mostly posted about this build on BtS but to spread my view around;

This is one of the best examples of well-balanced fine-detail work I've ever seen. It's as close to perfect as I ever expect to see, just enough to "busy" up the surface, not so much as to create clutter.

Brilliant! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sykotik

Last update now before the finish. Some paint has gone on and I am pretty happy with how its coming out so far. The details have blended in nicely and don't look too out of scale. I am altering the paint scheme just slightly by having a light grey underneath as opposed to a blue hue as the top will already be blue and I think blue and grey go together nicely. There will also be a bit of pale yellow trim in there too just to add some colour.

The first coupe of shots were taken so I can remember where I stuck the panel tape on later otherwise I'll forget.

That's it for now. The next post will be the final shots I think.I made a start on the much bigger Andromeda the other night, so I'll start a new thread for that later
As always, thanks for looking
Si

jalles

Quote from: sykotik on September 16, 2017, 06:34:41 AM
The details have blended in nicely and don't look too out of scale.

No doubt!  That looks awesome!  :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see the final shots.

NARSES2

Yet another fantastic build in what has been a GB of very high standards all around  :thumbsup: