DONE @p.2 +++ 1:100 Macross VF-25F 'Messiah' of N.U.N.S. SVFA-233 “Cloudbusters”

Started by Dizzyfugu, September 01, 2017, 09:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

What would an SF Group Build be without a mecha entry? Like the TIE/E, I use the occasion as motivator to tackle another project from my long list, which was incepted long ago but never turned into hardware so far - even though already two of these kits were stashed away...  :rolleyes:

This will be relatively simple, a more or less OOB build of an 1:100 VF-25 'Messiah' from the Macross Frontier OAV/TV series, my preferred Macross kit scale (since hordes of VF-1s in various "poses" populate my cabinets). Anyway, I always wanted to add a more "modern" Valkyrie variant to the bunch, and Bandai offers some 1:100 kits, including this VF-25 snap-fit kit.

1:100 Macross (Frontier) VF-25F 'Messiah'
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

However, the paint scheme and markings will be individual, since the kit comes with stickers instead of decals. These tend to have a good quality, but I will improvise, and I have a plan for the livery, using the occasion to incorporate a scheme I also had been wanting to apply for a long time, and lacked the occasion.

More to come soon.  :mellow:

Dizzyfugu

Things started moving, at stellar speed, literally.  ;) What I like about the VF-25 (and why I already ended up with two of them) is that the designers wanted to mode back to the original VF-1 design, which is a true mecha icon. And they did IMHO a good job - even though the VF-25 is considerably larger than the sleek VF-1.

Here's an overview of the multi-colored parts and the sticker sheet (which will not be used). Everything looks crisp, the only thing that bugs me is the violet-tinted canopy. Creating a clear replacement is very difficult, due to the complex frame shape, so I will stick with it. But I am not certain how things will eventually look in combination with my intended pant scheme for this one...?

1:100 Macross (Frontier) VF-25F 'Messiah' - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Pygmies on board? Well, I am used to undersized figures from Japan, but this here is ridiculous! Left, the OOB fighter figure (which is, for it's size, really good and shows typical details), and to the right a "truly" 1:100 figure (architect model material). WTF...?

The kit comes with a clear display, that features a kind of bracket for the underbelly gun. However, I will use my home-made standard display for Valkyries in flight. It uses a thin iron wire as holder, much less visible, and it is mounted in a weighted (lead band) base from a vintage ARII 1:100 Valkyrie Fighter display.
In order to mount it to the VF-25, a 3mm hole was simply drilled through the gun into the lower fuselage - this should suffice and work well.

1:100 Macross (Frontier) VF-25F 'Messiah' - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr'

Major assembly started with the VG wings and the front end.

Stay tuned...  :tornado:

TheChronicOne

EPIC, brotha.  I like it. I just recently discovered Macross myself.  (well, the kits anyway.. no clue what it actually is)  I was even inspired enough to buy a 1:72 pinkish looking thing that kind of had an F/A-18 hornet front end and.... stuff. I may join you in building it if it gets here in time.

Anyway.. I really like the looks of this. So similar to the Pixy Morgan of Ace Combat but.... not the same. Just, the general over all shape is similar and I like it.

Them sprues look very intersting... all them colors and the little attach points? I am completely unfamiliar with 1/100 scale aircraft, however, although I plan to get my hands on a set of the Area 88 series. Very cool looking!

I am eager to see what type of livery you have in store!  Shame about the purple canopy but it has me wondering about what colors would clash with it, which in turn has me trying to guess at your surprise scheme. . .  :wacko:

-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

Interstellar speed, I guess... Assembly made more progress. O.K., it's just a snap-fit kit, parts are few, but the fit as well as the panel line/parts' edges design is excellent. Even without PSR, you will later hardly recognize any seams. The only drawback is that the kit comes without landing gear - but for a toy, a 1:100 scale rendition would not really be suitable (even though I have built 1:144 scale Valkyries that featured optional parts!). Very smart kit. And, yes, the kit parts are partly molded in different colors and then the sprues are assembled into multi-color sprues. A frequent technique for Bandai mecha snap-fit kits in recent years. Very convenient.

On the gun you see the small hole for the later display attachment.

The pilot is in place, too. In order to make the figure fit, I got rid of the seating and had to widen the cabin. But it works,

Different angle into the cockpit; the dashboard is only rudimentary, and since vision will later be blurred, anyway, I just added some instrument dots in bright green.

The tinted canopy blocks not as much sight as expected - and the picture is a bit delusive, you can see more than it appears here, and I am happy that I replaced the pilot figure with something in "true" 1:100 scale!

Painting has already started, more to come soon.

Dizzyfugu

This one will be camouflaged - a rather rare feature on canonic VF-25s. Most are either really colorful, or dull grey, with some color trim, very USN-style.
This one is whiffy/fictional, though, and I use the occasion to try out a scheme I had been wanting to "test" for a long time on a build: a wrap-around grey/blue air superiority scheme.

Even though it might remind you of the scheme tested on one of the YF-16 prototypes, this one here is actually an experimental Luftwaffe scheme, tested in the late Seventies (with many other alternatives) on F-4F Phantom IIs, which eventually led to the complex  "Norm '81" scheme.

This one, a disruptive scheme made up from RAL 7038 (Achatgrau) and RAL 5015 (Taubenblau) on 37+51 earned the aircraft the inofficial nickname "Wolkenmaus":

The scheme was not adopted, though, but it's pretty and should suit the VF-25 well - even though it looks VERY Su-27-ish with it...? O.o'

1:100 Macross (Frontier) VF-25F 'Messiah' - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Not certain about the purple canopy... in order to integrate the odd color into the rest, I added some violet panels on the hull. Hope it helps...  :-\

TheChronicOne

If it helps any, in my opinion, the canopy looks just fine. Doesn't clash nearly as much as I thougt it would.
-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

Well, it still looks a bit out of place, I think?  :o

But it's an anime vehicle - maybe the pilot has green hair, and maybe it adds a weird twist to the overall design?

nighthunter

Having not followed Macross/Robotech since the original series, this looks good!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

zenrat

Given your usual building speed Dizz I would have expected you to finish a snap kit at least a day before you actually started it.

I've just ordered a Macross kit (1/72).  Not sure it it'll arrive in time but i'm looking forward to messing with it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 03, 2017, 09:43:49 PM

Given your usual building speed Dizz I would have expected you to finish a snap kit at least a day before you actually started it.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I've just ordered a Macross kit (1/72).  Not sure it it'll arrive in time but i'm looking forward to messing with it.

What's in the pipeline?

Besides, "building" lasted only a couple of net minutes. This one goes together really quick- and easily, the painting process slows things down... Looks simple in the two-tone livery, but this one has tons of edges, corners and small sections that make it hard to paint. Until yesterday evening, I've been busy with the basic paintjob and overall weathering. Some details still to be fixed, but I have also already printed some decals (NUNS insignia and modex code) and hope I can apply these soon.

The paint scheme looks cool, though, suits this SF bird very well!  :lol:

Dizzyfugu

Initial attempt to print decals for the VF-25 at home. The plan is to keep them toned down (basically all-black), but I added some more motives like the hexagonal SMS insignia. You never knwo... While it basically works, my inkjet printer let me obviosuly down...  :angry:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Weathering and detail work:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...and this is how things look right now, while I am fighting with my printer. A new run looks better, though!  :o

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

Well, "only" a waste of resources. The recent run looks better, and maybe I get to apply them today.

zenrat

Heh heh heh.  Beware of Nuns flying jets...  ;D

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 04, 2017, 03:36:35 AM
...I've just ordered a Macross kit (1/72).  Not sure it it'll arrive in time but i'm looking forward to messing with it.

What's in the pipeline?...

Sv-262Hs Doraken III.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..