F-114 Dragon in USAF service

Started by rickshaw, August 02, 2017, 06:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

F-114 Dragon in USAF service

The Douglas F6D Missileer was a proposed carrier-based US Navy fleet defence fighter aircraft, designed by Douglas Aircraft Company in response to a 1959 US Navy requirement. It was designed to be able to loiter for extended periods at a relatively long distance from the Navy's aircraft carriers, engaging hostile aircraft 100 miles (160 km) away with its powerful radar and long-range missiles. Since the enemy would be fired on long before they reached visual range, the aircraft had little dog fighting capability and was strictly subsonic. When doubts were expressed about the Missileer's ability to defend itself after firing its missiles, the value of the project was questioned, leading to its cancellation. Portions of the Missileer continued development in spite of the cancellation, eventually emerging on the ill-fated General Dynamics–Grumman F-111B and successful Grumman F-14 Tomcat years later.

When the USAF learnt about the existence of the F6D Missileer they were intrigued.  One of the major threats facing the USAF Air Defence Command was destroying potential Soviet bombers high in the Arctic latitudes before they could get within range of US cities and other targets of strategic importance.   The concept of the Missileer was such that it appeared to be alternative route to the short ranged supersonic interceptors with their aerodynamic problems resulting from their high speeds.   So, they secretly asked the aircraft production companies for a similar solution – a subsonic, long ranged, missile armed interceptor equipped with a powerful radar which could engage an attacking bomber from extreme range.

After considering the submissions, it was decided that it might be best, considering the problems that Navy were having with their system to build a proof-of-concept design first before embarking on a completely new aircraft.  Martin was selected, as they had the only medium bomber still in production which could be easily converted to carry missiles and a large radar.  Martin, decided to consult with English Electric, the original designers of the Canberra as to what could be the best method to approach this problem.   English Electric suggested that Martin might like to look at their P.12 design which essentially was what the USAF might be looking for.

Equipped with a powerful radar in a large nose cone, coupled with several large, full-active radar seeking missiles with a long range, it appeared perfect.   However, Martin preferred to adopt the design to their own version of the Canberra, the B-57.   English Electric agreed to sign production rights over to Martin as it appeared that manned fighter development in the UK was about to end after the issuing of the Sandy's Defence White Paper of 1957.

Martin therefore took over the design and what was to become the F-114 Dragon fighter was born.  By 1958, however the threat had substantially started to change.   Manned bombers were on their way out, the Soviet Union had started to develop ICBM missiles.   However, this was not obvious to the USAF until after the launch of Sputnik I.   The USAF did not understand this and the development of the F-114 continued.

Using the Navy's radar and missile was not possible because of the Air Force's pride.  A modified version of the Missileer's equipment was developed.  Bendix was awarded a contract to develop the AAM-12 Bald Eagle missile system. After launch, the Bald Eagle was boosted to Mach 3.5 by a large solid-propellant rocket booster, and then after a glide period, a long-burning sustainer motor slowly increased speed to Mach 4.5. Using a lofted trajectory that flew up and over the targets at high altitudes, the missile had an effective range of 160 miles (260 km). On final approach the missile activated its AN/DPN-53 radar, adapted from the Boeing CIM-10 Bomarc, using these signals for terminal active radar homing.

Westinghouse won the contract to develop the AN/APQ-82 radar for the aircraft. This was an advanced pulse-Doppler radar system with a maximum range against bomber-sized targets at about 140 miles, and was able to track sixteen targets at a time in its track while scan mode at up to 80 miles (130 km). The radar also broadcast midcourse corrections to the missiles, and was in charge of calculating their lofted trajectories. The 120 miles (190 km) range of the AN/APQ-82 meant the Eagle could not be fired at its maximum effective range of 160 miles (260 km), but the Eagle also had a home-on-jam capability that allowed it to attack targets at its maximum range, although this was reduced in practice as it did not use midcourse corrections and flew directly at the target at lower altitudes.

By the time development of both the missile and radar had finished, as already explained, the threat had changed.   ICBMs were now the main threat.  The USAF found itself with an effective, long range interceptor but no enemy aircraft to intercept.   So, they palmed it off on the Air National Guard where it served for ten years before finally being retired in 1973, with the end of the Vietnam War and it's substantially reduced budgets being their excuse.

The Model

The model represents an aircraft wearing the retirement scheme that the Washington ANG squadron wore when they retired the F-114 Dragon.  It carries four out of a maximum of eight Bald Eagle missiles which it could carry.

The model consists of an Italeri B-57B kit, coupled with the Freightdog Canberra P.12 nose.  The Missiles were made from 1/48 missiles.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Nice one Brian, both the model itself AND the backstory.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Nice, I like the concept and the story.

Just the "114" is a bit odd (to me) and late - a lower number would IMHO make more sense? Maybe an F-98 (preliminary code for the AIM-4 Falcon) or F-99 (for the CIM-10 Bomarc SAM) would be more appropriate?

TheChronicOne

That's great!! I totally dig the dragon.  :laugh: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

rickshaw

Thanks, one and all.  The decal BTW was designed by RussC, way back in 2013.   Printed by Spackman Enterprises in 2015. Finally used in 2017!   :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on August 02, 2017, 07:12:05 PM

Thanks, one and all.  The decal BTW was designed by RussC, way back in 2013.   Printed by Spackman Enterprises in 2015. Finally used in 2017!   :thumbsup:

Well, I'll be..........  :o :o :o :o

I'd forgotten all about that decal Brian, no wonder it needed to be such a strange shape.  ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

rickshaw

Thank'ee, one and all.  The F-114 was chosen as it was twice as powerful as a B-57...  ;)

Captain Canada

Now that is really super ! Nice looking machine, especially in those markings and with all of that hardware hanging ! Cheers
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Glenn Gilbertson

Tophe

Nice model! :thumbsup:
(in my database, XF-114 was the secret USAF code for the XF-15 Eagle, other ones say the YF-114 was a MiG-17 bought in secrecy, here is a third theory, good!) ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."