USAF Stargate Command Avrocar VZ-9G - Finished pics page 4

Started by zenrat, July 09, 2017, 02:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 03, 2017, 06:25:37 AM

...the top is not symmetrical.

Tophe must have been on that job then.  ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

So here it is with all the decals on.  Despite lining the front of the 'glyphs up with the centre line they do not line up at the back.  I suspect the jpeg I borrowed off the interweb is to blame.  Still, it doesn't look too shabby.

This one is named Roccinante.  Which as well as being Don Quixote's Horse is also a Rush reference.

Avrocar WIP 4-8-17 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Now that is VERY interesting  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Cleared over the decals yesterday and added some washes and an additional camo colour today.
Satin clear tomorrow.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Satin cleared it today.  Had a "bugger" moment when the third camo colour (added on top of the gloss clear yesterday) reacted with the clear and wrinkled.  Luckilly it settled down & smoothed out as the clear dried.
Tomorrow I should attach the canopies and gun barrels and it'll be done.
Fred

zenrat

Finished.
I will endeavour to photograph it tomorrow.
Fred

zenrat

Avro Canada VZ-9G Avrocar

During the first stage of Stargate exploration in the 1950s the USAF used the Avro Canada Avrocar for extra-terrestrial reconnaissance.
Avrocar 13 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Avrocars used by Stargate Command differed from those used by the US Army in having folding winglets in order to facilitate passage through a Stargate.  With the winglets folded an Avrocar could transit with a clearance of 3 1/2 inches.
While nominally a reconnaissance craft the VZ-9G did carry an armament of twin, fixed 0.5" machine guns.
Avrocar 9 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Following "The Incident" in 1963 and the ensuing court martials the USAF Stargate was crated up and put into storage in one of the Area 51 warehouses.  This left the small Avrocar fleet surplus to requirements,  Obviously the USAF were not going to allow the US Army to add them to their fleet so some were put into storage with the gate while a few were reassigned to the Area 51 facility which used them for perimeter security purposes and a staff runabouts.
Avrocar 10 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Avrocar 3 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model
Fly 1/72 Avrocar.
Monogram Snaptite "Huey Chopper" skids.
Intake scoop on front turbine intake made from a drop tank.
Vallejo enamels (USAF Brown, Dark Earth & Model Stone) and home made decals.
Avrocar 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_VZ-9_Avrocar
Fred

Old Wombat

Looks great, Fred! Dio setting is a brilliant touch! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Bloomin' MARVELLOUS!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And I love the backscene and backstory too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Thanks folks.  I found the backdrop on the interweb.  Eventually.
There are a lot of pics of the various actors and of stargates but not too many showing a landscape.

Fred