A naked Dragonfly...

Started by sykotik, July 07, 2017, 07:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sykotik

Hi all
No, it's not quite as weird as it sound - it's my entry for this group build. This is my first GB here, so be gentle. I'm also using this an excuse to finally build something different in regards to subject matter and I reckon this subject has it in bits.
It's the Industria Mechanika 1/35 Dragonfly resin kit. It's really nicely molded and is easy enough for a simpleton like me to put together. There's a lot of really nice detail in the form of gears and cogs here and there, rivets and a beautifully crafted pilot figure which I won't be able to do justice too. You don't get a billion parts which is great too.You get laser cut clear inserts for the PE wing frames to sandwich and the PE frets have a lot of additional details you can add to for rigging etc.
It builds up to a decent size too and spanning about 35cm or so I think.

I have what I think is a cool scheme in mind for this by combing metal and wood using wood decals for the main body segments so I end up with something similar to a naked Mig-3

So, what do you get for your money? Have a look:

The parts have been primed and are currently drying.

Well, that's enough for now, but I am really looking forward to seeing what cool projects people will come up with on this GB. There is heaps of talent in this forum!
thanks for having me
Si

Rick Lowe

Interesting - and it's flown in the opposite direction from what I was envisaging.

I'll be interested to see this one when it's done.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

Nice. Thanks for the pic.  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

I've seen enough dragonflies zooming around to know that there's no way on Earth I'd be flying that thing with the cockpit where it is! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sykotik

hi again
What can I say - there isn't much to put together so it's painting up first.
I masked off the wood section and will use the tape as a template for the wood decal sheets
The paint is all Alclad for the moment
Sorry for the average photos - its night time here and Ive blown my white bulb so the temperature is all skew whiff, but you get the idea

I do apologise again for the above pictures - they don't really show the colours and need to be taken in daylight

thanks for indulging me

Si

NARSES2

Impressive metal work, natural light or not
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

strobez

Wow... that's a beauty! The metal finish is amazing, and such a great concept. Very cool indeed.
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

sykotik

Thanks guys
Small update. I finally found some time today to take some (hopefully) better pictures.
I have decided to repaint the metal as I was having issues with the paint lifting off (despite all the usual precautions like priming, clear coat etc)
For whatever reason, the Tamiya masking tape was just peeling it off in chunks. This isn't such a bad thing as it has left me trying something else.
I found a heap of left over PE from my BR-52 and seeing as it's all in the same scale, I may as well add some extra detail to places like the cockpit and the mechanical area. I wont go overboard though. Just a little bit

I love all the little details in this kit like the cogs and so on.

I'm going to start making the legs soon but I have to decide now how I am going to display this. I was pondering the idea of having it sit on a wooden landing pad. I have left over balsa sheet I could use for making planks but I'd have to go buy some for the frame. Or do I make it in-flight -- which would mean I would have to make and paint the pilot figure and I'll be honest - I can't paint figures for squat.

Ah well - first world problems hey. Thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si

sykotik

Took a quick pic of the main mechanical body and I am pretty happy with how it's coming along. I have added a light wash and created oil stains

I have also finished respraying the metal on the main body and once its fully cured, I'll be adding the wooden decals. I'm keen to see if it comes out as I have it in my head.

thanks for looking

Old Wombat

zenrat

How about making the frame for the wooden landing pad from either angle or H section styrene rod painted to look like metal?
Fred

sykotik

Quote from: zenrat on July 16, 2017, 02:19:09 AM
How about making the frame for the wooden landing pad from either angle or H section styrene rod painted to look like metal?

that's a good idea - thank you. I'll look into that as well as maybe it sitting on a rock or something - although that kinda feels a little too 'obvious' in some way.
I shall ponder some more. In the mean time, I took a couple of quick pics of where I am currently up to.
I attached the metal parts to the main body with CA and a piece of brass tube through the middle to pin it together.
The rear end has been attached and I added seat belts, a gear lever of some kind made of brass rod and a bead of solder for the knob, and threw in a couple of steam valves for giggles. I also added some cut mesh for the floor and a step from a BR52 for a pedal that does .... something.
I'm also trying to put on the windscreen - but it is being very difficult at present, so it's sitting there waiting for the body to fully cure.
I also put together a wing to see how hard it would be and it turned out to be easier than I thought, so I'll keep on with those

so, here's where it sits currently:

Well, that's it for now. The wife and son arrive back on Saturday, so progress will undoubtedly slow down a bit. Thanks for looking
Si