DHC Chipmunk T100 - JASDF. Finished pics page 2

Started by zenrat, May 28, 2017, 04:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

It's Vallejo German Orange with a splash of Deep Yellow.  It could be more vibrant but I reckon it'll look good with the meatballs on top of it.
Decals tomorrow followed by another coat of shiny on Satyrday and final assembly and pics on Sunday.
Nothing like sneaking it in just before the deadline.
No stuff ups so far so i'll either snap off the undercarriage legs tomorrow while decaling or grab the wrong can and give it a coat of white primer on Satyrday or drop it on Sunday.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Ohhh glorious!!! I love it already!   :wub: :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Obviously I failed to predict the exact stuff up.
I should really have realised that 40 year old (can 1977 really be that long ago?  I feel so old) Hasegawa decals could refuse to leave the backing paper no matter how long they were soaked.
Shame as the designs for the vertical tail looked pretty good.
Never mind, I had a rummage in my decal folder and replaced most of them with something similar.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

It doesn't show in the pictures but those meatballs are a touch translucent.  They are from a Hasegawa T-33 that is of the same age as the T-34.  But they came off the backing.  Numbers and frog are from a much newer Hasegawa Phantom.

Wheels on and moving surfaces are pin washed.

Fred

zenrat

Done.
Glue is drying.
Pics tomorrow.
Fred

zenrat

Off to the shed with the camera now to take photygrufs.
:o
Fred

zenrat

And here they are.

DHC Chipmunk T100 JASDF

DHC Chipmunk T100 JASDF 3 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

What if, when searching for a piston engined trainer the JASDF had approached De Havilland Canada and requested they produce a version of the Chipmunk with a tricycle undercarriage?

DHC Chipmunk T100 JASDF 11 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The result?  Instead of purchasing the Beechcraft T-34 Mentor the Japanese procure the Chipmunk T-100.

DHC Chipmunk T100 JASDF 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model.
Airfix 1/72 DHC Chipmunk T-10 (mmmmmm, all those rivets - luvverly  ;)).
Nose gear from Academy P-39.
Paint job as per Hasegaewa T-34 instructions.
Decals from Hasegaewa T-33 & F-4EJ.

DHC Chipmunk T100 JASDF 10 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

loupgarou

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Knightflyer

I like that very much! Nice colour scheme. Looks Good!
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

zenrat

Fred

Captain Canada

Can't believe how much that change of stance changes the look of the aeroplane ! If I hadn't been following the thread I'd have trouble guessing what it was. Great stuff.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

Fantastic!! This is super clean and awesome.  :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow:
-Sprues McDuck-

strobez

Now that is indeed something you don't see very often.  I love the colour scheme and putting up a Chipmunk on three wheels feels like a circus trick.  Very nicely accomplished, that's for sure!
Thanks!

Greg

Weaver

Nice one! The nose wheel looks good and the paint job really suits it.

You could do a whole series of Japan-buys-British from ab-initio-operational: Chippie, Jet Provost, Gnat, then Lightning's and/or SR.177s...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

jalles

Awesome job!  Funny how much better I like this with the tricycle gear.