Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki-Kai

Started by Librarian, May 26, 2017, 12:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

Bit of a cheat as I tinkered with this idea back in 2012 when the Trumpeter Spiteful appeared so I'm pretty sure the parts fit with just a modicum of cut and shave. Had a good old rummage in the spares boxes and managed to find all the necessary discarded parts from recent builds.

The build is quite straightforward but I may well not meet the deadline as the paints can be somewhat temperamental...but I'll try my best.

She will be a chimera of Ki-44, F4U-5, Spiteful and N1K2-J.

loupgarou

Looks like a tasty mix!  :thumbsup:
I am looking forward to seeing what happens-
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Librarian

Fortunately wife and kids have gone to visit her sister in Leicester for the weekend so I've had a glorious day of modelling...been so long since I've been able to do so.
First thing was to paint up the cockpit, cut and shape the F4U5 cowling to slot over the forward Shoki fuselage and rattlecan it black, then get the fuselage together (acrylics are a joy as they dry so quickly).

Then cut away the rear of the lower wing to fit the Shoki fuselage, attaching the rear triangle of the Shoki lower wing to fill the gap. Cut slots out of the Shoki wing-butts to fit the Spiteful gear bays.

Cut away the original tail and slotted an N1K2 tail section in place...also cut and shaped the horizontal stabs to match.

Some filling and sanding where required and scribed in some extra flaps below. Piccies:

That's enough for today....knackered ;D.

jalles

Wow, great progress!  So artfully blended, looking awesome.

Librarian

Had to run some chores today but underside coat of paint early this morning and just risked a second with no problems. Might do the wheels later.

loupgarou

Cannot even see where the parts from the various kits were joined!
You have managed to blend everything beautifully.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Librarian

Quote from: loupgarou on May 28, 2017, 11:52:00 AM

Homebase flexible filler...smoooooth  :thumbsup:

loupgarou

Quote from: Librarian on May 28, 2017, 12:50:01 PM
Quote from: loupgarou on May 28, 2017, 11:52:00 AM

Homebase flexible filler...smoooooth  :thumbsup:

But I hope it doesn't STAY flexible when dry !?  :o

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

This is cool, very subtle - I like it very much.  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Librarian

First coat of green last night and took a risk just now on the second. So far, so good. Third coat tomorrow, then the white wing and tail 'bandages'. U/c, canopy and engine etc all painted up and ready to go. Still working on the updated contraprop spinner. Starting to feel confident ;D.

Librarian

Ticking along:

Was going with a contraprop but put together another from the Spiteful spinner and Hornet props, shortened and shaped using the Spiteful prop for diameter/ground-clearance judgement.

Librarian

ID stripes in place and cowling on...fitted like a dream. Really chuffed with the cut-out exhaust slot thingy:

Ordered some decals from Hannants and the USA on Friday...US order arrived today. ****ing disgraceful, and seems to be happening a lot (even taking a BH into account) :banghead:

Captain Canada

Wow that's really coming along nicely !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?