MiG-23MLGD

Started by jalles, May 26, 2017, 07:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalles

To hedge their bets against the failure of the MiG-29, MiG creates the ultimate version of the MiG-23.  MiG ditched the VG wings, revised the intakes for better performance and integrated the latest air-to-air weaponry in a bid to keep the MiG-23 competitive.

So I'll essentially be putting some new wings and intakes on a MiG-23 I had lurking in the stash.

I've never finished a model in a week, so I doubt I'll finish but I'm going to give it a shot!

jalles

Started cutting and filling open spaces.  The new intakes expose more of the side, so it all needs to be filled and sanded.

New intakes come from an Su-34, they're too wide so they need to be cut down.

Wings come from an F-16 with scratch built wing roots.

Horizontal stabilizers are cut down Su-34 stabilizers.

Intakes narrowed and glued together.

sandiego89

Oh I like this idea....might look a bit like a Mirage F.1
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

So neat and tidy  :bow: Looking good  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Excellent - the MiG-23's got loads of potential. I'm considering it for a project of my own, but the result wouldn't be 'MiG' at all.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

DogfighterZen

Oh yes, this will certainly look very good! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

jalles

I've been spending every spare moment working on the MiG, I haven't had time for updates.  So here's a brief progress report.

Mostly just getting the intakes right.

I got the wings on this morining.  I'm really hoping I get this done in time.

jalles

Almost ready for painting!

I wish I had more time to scribe panel lines, but the deadline demands I move along.

Gondor

Looks a bit like a shrunken MiG-25

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

Wow what a great idea ! Love the shape so far nice one !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Gondor on June 02, 2017, 08:18:41 AM
Looks a bit like a shrunken MiG-25

Gondor

Thought of that too! Single engine Foxbat! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

AXU

Oh man this is awesome  :wub: and at the end it will surely be impressive .
Great kitbash  :thumbsup:

Quote from: jalles on June 02, 2017, 07:21:44 AM
I wish I had more time to scribe panel lines, but the deadline demands I move along.
A complex camouflage with 3 colors will diminish the need for extra panel lines...as I said,will be an excellent model

strobez

Whoah... not even done, but an early contender in my book.  What a great idea! It seems so logical and yet creative at the same time.  Love it!
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jalles

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words!

I totally agree that it looks like a mini Foxbat.

Just got the first coat of paint on.

Quote from: AXU on June 02, 2017, 12:50:21 PM
A complex camouflage with 3 colors will diminish the need for extra panel lines...as I said,will be an excellent model

Hmmm...I was hoping for a simple paint scheme to save time.  In the end I'll meet in the middle, a few more panel lines, a little more complex paint scheme.