(DONE, PICS Pg. 4) BF-109 G6 Trop.

Started by TheChronicOne, May 15, 2017, 01:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

;D

WITH.... TOP SECRET PAINT JOB!  To be revealed in closing hours of the build.  :lol:

OK, check this out.... I was looking through all my kits for something either bagged or missing decals or some other affliction when I found this poor decapitated feller:

Found some decorations to make this stuff work:

Good to go!

OK, so, I have to come up with some bovine excrement to go with the plane and the paint job,  how it got where it is and came to look the way it does, and came up with a "Continental Gustav" theme. As a secondary sub theme and tie-in with another part of the story, also, the "Forgotten Gustav."  (this secondary theme will be explained at the same time as the paint job because it all ties in together.. it'll all make sense at that point... and "forgotten" will make sense and you'll see why it's important to the overall story! )

So, basically, in 1943 the Germans wanted some solid testing done on their tropical stuff and seeing how nothing like that environment was anywhere near Europe or N. Africa, they decided to "loan" some to Japan so they can use them in their conquest of SEA and adjoining area. Hot, humid, salt water all over the place, sand, and everything the glorious sub continent has to offer. Perfect place to test tropical equipment! 

Anyway... so a squadron of G6trops make their way from one side of Eurasia to the other only to have them all fall (in mint condition!!!) into the hands of the 14th Army (tie in). A bunch of Indian guys find the not all too well hidden airplanes and hand them over to the 3rd Tactical Air Force of the RAF SEACommand. 

This kit looks really easy to put together and that is what I wanted. I'm sure there'll be some sanding and stuff. I bet a great many of you have built this very kit in the past! I haven't built a 109 in 25 years. Not since I was about 10 years old when I built this one, and it was different company I do believe (came in a Testors boxing with 3 other WWII planes) :

Should be fun!

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Mould for that one dates back to 1956.  That version released in 1973.
I'm pretty sure i've built one at some stage back in the dim mists of antiquity as have most of us probably.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on May 16, 2017, 02:31:54 AM
Mould for that one dates back to 1956.  That version released in 1973.
I'm pretty sure i've built one at some stage back in the dim mists of antiquity as have most of us probably.

Wow, 1956 huh!!  Here's the thing, the plastic all looks molded really well, not a lot of flash... Ive been test fitting and sanding a bit and the stuff seems to go together well... should be a cakewalk.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

OH BY THE WAY.... I know I can do this without but I imagine having access to the instructions for this could save me some time so if anyone has them scanned or knows where I can find them on the net, I'd appreciate it. I did a cursory web search yesterday but gave up a few minutes in as the research was far more interesting at the time.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Can't help you with that Brad C.  Sorry.  I only have the instructions from the newer version when they made a new tool.
Here's the original blister pack art though.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on May 16, 2017, 04:41:21 AM
Can't help you with that Brad C.  Sorry.  I only have the instructions from the newer version when they made a new tool.
Here's the original blister pack art though.

Oh man, that's lovely!! 

Not too miffed about the instructions... barring not finding the actual ones, I'll look around for a "review" or build page of the kit and follow along with that as I go.  Probably won't need any of it but it's still nice to have!
-Sprues McDuck-

loupgarou

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Memories  ;D I built at least 10 of those when I discovered my first after market transfers (and they were called transfers back then) in BMW's in Wimbledon. My first purchases were a sheet of swastikas (which I still have and are still usable) and a couple of sheets for different countries 109's.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

IIRC the original Airfix Me-109G came in a plastic bag with the instructions stapled to the top, like the J-EJ Spitfire IX. The bubble pack version came later on.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: loupgarou on May 16, 2017, 05:28:08 AM
Try a look here:
http://www.cavallar.ch/model/

SUPERB!!! I love this site.  Bookmarked and was able to find the instructions in less than 3 minutes! 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

zenrat

I'm sure you would have had no problems building it without the instructions Brad C.  Pretty much SOP for a kit of that age.

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 16, 2017, 11:27:14 AM
IIRC the original Airfix Me-109G came in a plastic bag with the instructions stapled to the top, like the J-EJ Spitfire IX. The bubble pack version came later on.

Yup, and the plastic bag packed version was the one I had so many of  ;D Was never a fan of the bubble pack ones. Indeed not sure I ever had many. I was well into my wargamming phase by then
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.