Author Topic: Clay Lacy's P-51D 'N64CL' a.k.a. 'Miss Van Nuys', early 70ies (REAL WORLD!)  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Dizzyfugu

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
    • Lots of works in my FlickR gallery
Re: Clay Lacy's P-51D 'N64CL' a.k.a. 'Miss Van Nuys', early 70ies (REAL WORLD!)
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 01:26:24 am »
It's really hard to tell a true tone from pics. Light plays a major role, but also the camera, the film (any pic that old is just a scan or a repro), and especially your screen/display. Never trust what you see indirectly.
I also dug up lots of pics of N64CL, and the FS17142 recommendation from the decal sheet is IMHO a very good choice - even though I do not have a first hand sample of the tone, either. I just do not have access here to this US tone, so RAL 4003 turned out to be a very good fall-back option, even though the tone is slightly lighter. But at the kit's small size it's a good scale effect compensation.

Besides, as mentioned above, there IS in some pics a light metallic/mother-of-pearl shine on the aircraft - but that seems to be a more recent effect varnish applied on top of the original purple tone. Confusing, but AFAIK the machine was in a solid tone in the early Seventies.

Offline zenrat

• The Devil's Avocet.
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 02:58:01 am »
Oh I can make it look purple by adjusting my monitor.  ;D

It's a shade close to the cusp of pink and purple and as such what the viewer calls it is subjective and down to their eyes.
Fred

Let's make Victoria great again.

Another ill conceived, poorly thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IMELBOUR261

Offline DogfighterZen

• Bmx, music and whif junkie
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 06:40:21 am »
Nice one, looks like the real thing. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Offline loupgarou

• Full scale Arrow in basement
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 04:03:51 pm »
I'd call that hot pink rather than purple but hey, could be my monitor as it matches your reference pics in the relevant photo above.

Very good.  Nothing wrong with posting the odd RW build.
 :thumbsup:

Yes, it looks very pink-ish, a very deep tone. But officially it's a purple tone!

Very nice build.  :thumbsup:
But I thought the colour was lilac. :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.