#1 DONE +++ 1:72 Avia C-2 (Arado Ar 96) of the Israeli Air Force, 1948

Started by Dizzyfugu, May 10, 2017, 11:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Its amazing to us mere mortals that you can get so far so quickly Dizzy, most members taking part in this Group Build will have not got as far as wings joined to fuselages.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Nah, this is just an OOB build with some minor mods. The kit itself also shows little resistance to my plans, so thing move swiftly. I recently tinkered together a real world Ki-43 with skis together in just three days, for another GB, and despite NMF and the landing gear conversion I was amazed how smoothly things ran. I guess it's just routine and the frequent fight with kitbashings and other major conversions that make "normal" kits feel so easy...  :unsure:

Anyway, this has been the (hot!) weekend, things will slow down a bit now - painting has started, and this will take place in stages, and I also have beauty pics and the background on my agenda. The actual building part is just a minor step in the whole thing, and at the moment I feel positive about the overall time frame.

Old Wombat

I'd still be futzing around with the cockpit. :-\

Looking good, Dizzy, & the concept is neat, too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Day #3: painting has started. Since the ex Czech aircraft would just have been delivered and immediately thrown into armed frontline service, I gave it a basic scheme close to Czech post WWII trainer aircraft, plus typical Israeli markings and an additional makeshift desert camouflage.

I found some reference that most Czech Avia C-2s carried NMF, with some parts sometimes painted with RLM 02. Some had black cowlings, too, and some even carried a uniform RLM 02 livery.
Early IAF trainers carried – AFAIK – yellow ID markings, e. g. wing bands or cowlings. I used both designs as a basis and gave this machine basically a full RLM 02 (Humbrol 240) upper surface, aluminum undersides (Revell 99) and yellow bands on wings (created with decal material), a yellow fin rudder and cowling flanks (painted). The cowling's underside and an anti-glare panel up to the cockpit became black.

1:72 Avia C-2B (Ar 96 B-2), "02-ב" of the Israeli Air Force, allocated to 101 Tajeset; Ekron (Canaan region), during the War of Independence, June 1948 (Whif/Heller kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Avia C-2B (Ar 96 B-2), "02-ב" of the Israeli Air Force, allocated to 101 Tajeset; Ekron (Canaan region), during the War of Independence, June 1948 (Whif/Heller kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Not fancy, but that's not the point in this case.  ;)

A light black ink wash and some post-shading was also done before the decals will be applied this evening.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

More decals! Things start looking authentic...  ;)

1:72 Avia C-2B (Ar 96 B-2), '02-ב' of the Israeli Air Force, allocated to 101 Tayeset; Ekron (Canaan region), during the War of Independence, June 1948 (Whif/Heller kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

After a light black ink wash and some post-shading the decals with national markings, the tactical code and further ID markings like the red-and-white stripes on the fin (colors associated with 101 Tajaset: the S-199 fighters carried diagonally striped rudders) were added.

Decals were puzzled together from several sources, including David Shields from a High Decal Line MiG-17(!) sheet. The tactical code "B-02" is a guess; AFAIK the early IAF trainers had a "Beth/B-" prefix to their code, while fighters had a "Daleth/D-" letter code. This practice was later changed to a four digit numeric code, at least on the trainers.

This could have been the paint job, the green/silver livery with yellow markings would have been the original look of the aircraft upon delivery. But I want to add a twist and present the aircraft as an improvised light CAS aircraft. Consequently, the upper surfaces as well as the yellow ID markings will next be crudely painted over with sand leaving out the markings.
Being a combat aircraft now, I added a relatively thin white-and-blue fuselage band. This marking was originally carried by contemporary S-199s, in order to make them more distinguishable from Egyptian Spitfires. This, as well as the fin stripes, were created with generic decal sheet and stripes (TL Modellbau).

1:72 Avia C-2B (Ar 96 B-2), '02-ב' of the Israeli Air Force, allocated to 101 Tayeset; Ekron (Canaan region), during the War of Independence, June 1948 (Whif/Heller kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Captain Canada

Don't blink or you'll miss it ! That is looking way better than I had imagined great stuff.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

dumaniac

TheChronicOne

I really liked it at the solid greengrey stage!  The red white fin flash treatment is an interesting touch.

Nice work, bud!!!
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Dizzyfugu

1:72 Avia C-2B (Ar 96 B-2), '02-ב' of the Israeli Air Force, allocated to 101 Tayeset; Ekron (Canaan region), during the War of Independence, June 1948 (Whif/Heller kit)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Avia C-2B (Ar 96 B-2), '02-ב' of the Israeli Air Force, allocated to 101 Tayeset; Ekron (Canaan region), during the War of Independence, June 1948 (Whif/Heller kit)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some background:
The Arado Ar 96 was a German single-engine, low-wing monoplane of all-metal construction, produced by Arado Flugzeugwerke. Designed by Walter Blume as the result of a 1936 Reich Air Ministry tender, the prototype first flew in 1938. In 1939, an initial batch of Ar 96A aircraft was produced, and this was followed by the major production series, the more powerful Ar 96B, fitted with the Argus As 410 engine.

The Ar 96 was the Luftwaffe's standard advanced trainer during World War II, being used, among others, for night and instrument-flying training. Shadow production was undertaken by Letov and the Avia factory in occupied Czechoslovakia, where manufacturing continued for some years after the war. These machines were designated the Avia C-2B, but virtually identical to the Ar 96 B.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some Avia C-2Bs were sold, together with other types of Czech production, in 1948 to Israel, when the Israeli Air Force (IAF; Hebrew: זְרוֹעַ הָאֲוִיר וְהֶחָלָל‎, Zroa HaAvir VeHahalal, "Air and Space Arm", commonly known as חֵיל הָאֲוִיר‎, Kheil HaAvir, "Air Corps") was founded, shortly after the Israeli Declaration of Independence.
The Israeli Air Force was initially equipped with commandeered or donated civilian aircraft, but a variety of obsolete and surplus ex-World War II combat-aircraft were quickly sourced by various means to supplement this fleet. The backbone of the IAF was initially procured from Czechoslovakia and consisted of 25 Avia S-199s (essentially Czechoslovak-built Messerschmitt Bf 109s with a Jumo 211 engine instead of the Daimler-Benz DB 605 from wartime production) plus 60 Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXEs.

Several other second line duty types like transporters or trainers were purchased, too. Among these aircraft were also ten 2nd hand Avia C-2Bs, primarily for advanced training, but also with light attack/CAs and reconnaissance roles in mind. Consequently, these revamped machines were outfitted with two hardpoints under the outer wings for light loads of up to 50 kg (110 lb) each, and in order to better cope with the local high temperatures, the original two-blade propeller was replaced by a 3-bladed variable pitch metal propeller and the oil cooler was replaced by a more effective alternative with a bigger surface, standing out characteristically from the trainers' chin.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Israel's new fighter-arm immediately went into action on May 29, 1948, only six days after Israel's declaration of independence and five days after the commencement of hostilities by Egypt, assisting efforts to halt the Egyptian advance from Gaza northwards. Creativity and resourcefulness were the foundations of early Israeli military success in the air, rather than technology (which, at the inception of the IAF, was generally inferior to that used by Israel's adversaries).

Six of the Avia C-2B trainers, based at Ekron together with the S-199 fighters from 101 Tajeset (Israel's first operational fighter squadron), soon became actively involved in the conflict. They attacked supply routes and strafed enemy positions, initial operations were concentrated between Isdud and the Ad Halom bridge, south of Tel Aviv.

The majority, 15 out of the first 18 pilots in 101 Squadron, were foreign volunteers (both Jewish and non-Jewish), mainly World War II veterans who wanted to collaborate with Israel's struggle for independence, with the rest of the military-grade pilots being Israeli WWII veterans. Furthermore, pilots from Sherut Avir, the air force of the Haganah and the forerunner of the Israeli Air Force, founded in late 1947, were mainly locals who flew roundabout 25 light civilian aircraft for supply and reconnaissance duties, but they also carried out makeshift ground attack missions with hand-thrown light bombs and even hand fired light machine guns.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Since the S-199 proved unreliable and performed poorly in combat, (no more than five were typically airworthy at any one time!), many of the fighters' duties had to be handled by the Spitfires or other, less-combatant types like the C-2s, which frequently flew CAS missions against Egyptian positions with only light aerial defense. At least one C-2s was modified in the field to carry two RP-3 unguided missiles of British origin with HE warheads and their respective launch rails under the wings – their effectiveness was doubtful, though.
Three Israeli C-2s were lost in action throughout the first weeks of the Palestine War, and two more aircraft were considerably damaged on the ground by Egyptian gun fire. Only a single machine survived long enough to serve until on 18th of July 1948, when the second truce of the conflict went into effect after intense diplomatic efforts by the UN, and four of the ordered C-2 trainers did not make it to Israel in time to be involved in the conflict.

Eventually, more aircraft were procured, including Boeing B-17s, Bristol Beaufighters, de Havilland Mosquitoes and P-51D Mustangs. Not much later, the Israeli Air Force played an important part in Operation Kadesh, Israel's part in the 1956 Suez Crisis, dropping paratroopers at the Mitla Pass. By then the Avia C-2 trainers had been completely replaced by more modern and versatile T-6 Harvard trainers, which themselves remained in active service until 1974

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

General characteristics:
    Crew: two
    Length: 9.1 m (29 ft 10 in)
    Wingspan: 11 m (36 ft 1 in)
    Height: 2.6 m (8 ft 6 in)
    Wing area: 17.1 m2 (184 sq ft)
    Empty weight: 1,295 kg (2,855 lb)
    Max takeoff weight: 1,700 kg (3,748 lb)

Powerplant:
    1× Argus As 410A-1 inverted V-12 air-cooled piston engine, 347 kW (465 hp)

Performance:
    Maximum speed: 330 km/h (205 mph; 178 kn) at sea level
    Cruise speed: 295 km/h (183 mph; 159 kn)
    Range: 990 km (615 mi; 535 nmi)
    Service ceiling: 7,100 m (23,300 ft)
    Rate of climb: 5.083 m/s (1,000.6 ft/min)

Armament:
    1× 7.92 mm (0.312 in) MG 17 machine gun in the fuselage
    2x 50 kg (110 lb) underwing racks for bombs or single unguided missiles

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

A simple build, the painting process was the more challenging and time-consuming part – but it was intended as a 1-week-build, anyway.
The build has also (once more) confirmed my impression that old kits are not necessarily rubbish, and that the only good(?) model kits come from Japan. Even though the Heller Ar 96 moulds date back to 1977 (mine came in the 1979 boxing), it's a beautiful kit with good fit and surface details – anything you could ask for. Nice lil' plane, also in fictional markings!

zenrat

Good job Dizz.  One week - must make a change being able to take your time... ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

I just took the pressure to potentially build two kits in the time off of me. Another one has been started and already nears completion, but it will not be finished in time and I do not want to hurry with it.

jalles

Awesome as always!  I really like the first in flight shot.  The weathering is great too, I really need to learn some weathering techniques.