MusMus Mk22 (Double Mustang 2)

Started by Tophe, April 22, 2017, 07:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Yesterday, we went to the toy shop to buy the birthday present for my 7y.o. son and on the desk for paying, there were on it little envelopes looking like tiny kits, and so cheap! (2 for 0.98€ = US $1.05). Kits indeed, with not less than 6 parts in each... This is not serious like Airfix/Revell but I will build these 2 planes (into 1 twin-plane) with my son.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Here are the 6 parts in each set. They look like Spitfire, simply painted differently, without belly scoop, without square tail. But I like this anyway (I am not a realist). I think I will build it as twin-pusher (with front engines, yes, like Reverse-Twin-Airacobra)...

zenrat

Heh! I remember them.  Great fun.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Yes, it will be funny, thanks.
My son made the scale calculations: 1/60 for span and 1/56 for length. Thanks sonny.

Tophe

After almost 10 minutes of hard hard work, the MusMus 22 model is finished. The amount of glue has been almost zero, and PSR: zero (approximately).
This was the very best fighter of 1945: 2 radar noses (for stereoscopic performance), 2 vectoring propellers on the fins (for incredible maneuverability)...

Tophe

My son Jacky still improved the 22 into the (secret) Mk.24 (with almost one more minute of hard work):

He is not yet 8 years old but evidently an experienced engineer already: the goal seems to increase the lifting area (for maneuverability also) and restore a proper weight/lift balance (the Mk.22 wing was too much near the noses).

Tophe

This is another view of the final MusMus Mk.24, for better comparison with the Mk.22.
24 seems to mean 2 fuselages and 4 half-wings.

zenrat

Bravo!  :thumbsup:

Interesting roundels on the wings.  Some kind of islamic air force?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Tophe

Quote from: zenrat on April 23, 2017, 02:58:04 AM
Interesting roundels on the wings.  Some kind of islamic air force?
Uh, Islamic Royal Air Force? Maybe this is a plane of 2045 rather than 1945, so.

Quote from: Tophe on April 23, 2017, 12:43:19 AM
Mk.24
24 seems to mean 2 fuselages and 4 half-wings.
Sorry, I was wrong in my interpretation of the 22 and 24 codes, because my son discovered new secret versions Mk.25 (canard) and Mk.21 (biplane):

Tophe

Ahem: MusMus Mk.21-22-24-25, yes but... what about the Mk.23?
I investigated and found a tandem wing version (with sesquiplane rear wing) without number, and this was probably the 23:

Dizzyfugu

I wonder if this one actually flies with the weights/prop attached to the front end? I was a fond fan of these, too.  :thumbsup:

ericr

Tophe

Thanks!

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 23, 2017, 10:08:13 AM
I wonder if this one actually flies with the weights/prop attached to the front end?
I don't think I will change the propellers' position, for 2 reasons:
- I have the bad memory of destroying a nose on another similar model, and I don't want to try again and maybe waste all
- nose propellers are less what-if, less crazy/amusing somehow
Thanks anyway for the suggestion ;)

My son discovered this morning the MusMus Mk.20, a very classical biplane:

Tophe

My son, at his school's festival won (100% winners...) a 8-colour ball-pen and a Curtiss P-40 model of the same family. He wanted to mix it with my one: