Yak 9 Dvoynoy: Finished pics pg 6

Started by zenrat, March 22, 2017, 03:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Poor feller!   ;D ;D

This is look pretty good.  Such a strange beasty.  :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Stealth count?  I know nothing Kit... ;D

It'll all become clear when its finished Brad C.  Which won't be long.
All parts are painted apart from the canopy so I will start attaching the fiddly bits tomorrow.

(31)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Well, she's now standing on her legs which are shod with wheels and dressed with doors.
Canopy framing is painted.
Turret is completed (bearing a striking similarity to a certain type of Sci Fi robot).
I almost forgot the exhausts.

(32)

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Done.
I've written some lies but need to polish them.  Also need to take pics with a camera rather than a phone.
Fred

Old Wombat

Odd but cool! :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on May 11, 2017, 02:20:32 AM
I've written some lies but need to polish them.

Freudian slip or direct, open honesty? ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 11, 2017, 03:21:07 AM
Odd but cool! :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on May 11, 2017, 02:20:32 AM
I've written some lies but need to polish them.

Freudian slip or direct, open honesty? ;)

Who knows?  I've been listening to so many politicians on the radio over the last two days* that reality has become hard to grasp.

How can you tell politician is lying?
He (or she, thank you Reg) is not dead.

*Tuesday was Federal budget day with all the associated joy and celebration.  (sarcasm).
Fred

NARSES2

Interesting, especially that very Soviet turret. I was expecting something more Defiant like.

Look forward to the story.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Wonderful model :wub:
Thanks! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

One strange contraption!  The turret has me conjuring up images of some Starfighter in Star Wars. 

I think it turned out great.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Yak 9 Dvoynoy
Designed by Vladimir Davroski of Kaledograd Dustbin Factory No. 12 the Yak 9 Dvoynoy (double) was built to meet a requirement for a strike aircraft capable of utilising extremely short fields.
Yak 9 Dvoynoy 12 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Davrovski achieved this by mounting a lift fan powered by an air-cooled Shevetsov radial engine between two otherwise standard Yak 9D fuselages.  While not generating sufficient thrust for a vertical take off the fan did produce enough lift to shorten its take off run by two thirds.
Yak 9 Dvoynoy 11 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The second prototype mounted a 23mm autocannon in a manned turret on the port fuselage.  It was intended that the reduced stall speed provided by the lift fan (in some accounts claimed to be "at the pace of a brisk walk") would enable the aircraft to loiter over battlefields while the gunner picked off targets at will.
Yak 9 Dvoynoy 5 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Operational trials with four development aircraft showed that while the concept worked the lift engine was prone to overheating due to the fan not drawing enough air down through the cowling.  Davroski proposed an extended cowling with an engine driven cooling fan atop the engine but didn't get any further than preliminary sketches before the project was cancelled.
Yak 9 Dvoynoy 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The aircraft's lack of legs was the reason for cancellation.  The loss of a wing mounted tank from each fuselage plus the addition of a third engine meant that there simply wasn't enough fuel capacity.  Two aircraft had the lift engine and fan removed and replaced with a fuel holding aerofoil centre section but it was felt that this didn't provide any improvement over a conventional aircraft and so all were scrapped.
Yak 9 Dvoynoy 14 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model:
Yak 9 Dvoynoy 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
I dreamt this design.  OK, so in my dream it was a pair of FW190s but I didn't have a matching pair so I built if from Yaks.
Two Airfix 1/72 Yak 9Ds are joined by a ring cut from a flocking container and a scratchbuilt horizontal stabiliser.  The top of this fan housing was cut from styrene sheet and reinforcement was added on the underside.  At which point I realised it might have been easier to use a 1/12 motorcycle wheel...
Lift engine and nacelle are Matchbox 1/72 Westland Lysander.
Lift fan has cut down Airfix 1/72 Ford Trimotor blades on a hub cut from evergreen tube
Turret is from my clear parts box and may be Italian.  Whatever it was there were two identical versions on the sprue.
While needing a bit of PSR and having more flash than a pervert convention the Yaks went together surprisingly well given the age of the moulds (1963).  You could make a half decent build from one but as a minimum you'd need to add cockpit detail, decent exhausts and replace the wheels.
Yak 9 Dvoynoy 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
When I dreamt this design there was another aircraft in the dream.  It was a Bf 110 with no tail, a rocket motor behind the cockpit and twin open trellis booms extending from the rear of the engine nacelles and supporting a horizontal stabiliser.  I'll build it one day when I get a suitable donor 110.  I have an Eduard kit but it's an extremely nice kit and I want to do it justice not hack it up.
I also want to build the lift fan FW 190 zwilling.  In my dream it had the ability to hover so it'll need a bigger fan (or maybe contra rotating fans to prevent the whole thing from rotating).  The fan was housed in an aerofoil section and didn't have an engine mounted on top so I'm going to have to figure out how to power it.  But that's for later.

Fred

Librarian

WOW!!...er... wow :o. Fascinating concept and beautifully made (as always).  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

zenrat

Thanks Max.  It's a snapshot of what goes on in my head when i'm asleep.  It's an odd place which worries me sometimes...
:unsure:
Fred

Librarian

Quote from: zenrat on May 12, 2017, 04:08:49 AM
Thanks Max.  It's a snapshot of what goes on in my head when i'm asleep.  It's an odd place which worries me sometimes...
:unsure:

I find extra-mature cheddar works really well...really sharpens those nocturnal trips to the real world...cheaper than the 'corner-shop' ;D

It's funny how I seem to get inspiration for builds in the early hours of the morning.

Dizzyfugu

Positively weird. And the fan fairing lends itself to a Red Star decoration, too!  :thumbsup: