ASF-X Shinden II - Warwolf on the warpath.

Started by seadude, March 16, 2017, 04:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

I'm currently starting to get ideas and plan for another whif to be started soon in a week or two. What this will be is the Ace Combat ASF-X Shinden II 1/72 scale model kit from Hasegawa. There are about 3-4 versions of this kit I think. My kit is the picture further below that I have. I'm planning to go with a color scheme similar to this that I found. But, I'm having problems. Read further below.

I'm also going to keep some of the Warwolf markings and decals from the kit, but may have to change some other unit markings and numbers in order to show an aircraft from US Air Force service. So it's a 50/50 thing. ;)
With the color scheme from that DA link, the main color of the aircraft appears to be a very dark gray. But I'm having trouble trying to match it against Testor acrylic color paints. Only possible options are:
FS36321 Dark Gull Gray
FS36076 Engine Gray
FS36081 Euro 1 Gray

Testor and Tamiya paints are all that my hobby store near me carry. But I won't use Tamiya as I have been having some issues with it recently when hand brushing and brush strokes appear after drying.  :banghead: I've been having better results from Testor paints in the last few months. And don't ask me to airbrush. Just DON'T!  :angry:

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

DogfighterZen

Have that kit in the stash since 2014... I like the scheme you're thinking of, will look very good on the Shinden II. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

seadude

Quote from: DogfighterZen on March 16, 2017, 04:23:37 PM
Have that kit in the stash since 2014... I like the scheme you're thinking of, will look very good on the Shinden II. :thumbsup:

I think so too.  :thumbsup:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

seadude

Well, I'm getting close to a color choice for this beast. After much more debate and paint testing, it'll be either:
FS36321 Dark Gull Gray
FS36081 Euro 1 Gray
FS36176 Dark Gray (F-15)

.........though I seem to be leaning more toward Euro 1 Gray at the moment.

When built, I'm going to load up this aircraft with lots of armament. I want this beast to really have some "teeth and claws" so to speak.  ;D But I may not use all the AMRAAMS from the kit. I'm thinking of taking the triple missile racks from a 1/72 SBY Cosmo Falcon (Shown below) and putting those on the Shinden instead.
http://www.miniaturecraft.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PC118418.jpg

silverwindblade

I'll be watching this one, I'd love to see what you do with it. I love Ace Combat, and the Shinden is designed by one of my favourite mecha designers, Shoji Kawamori, so I love seeing the kit of it built up.
I'd have one myself, but they only did it in 72nd, and I only model aircraft in 48th :(
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

chrisonord

I have one of these in the stash too, if I had somewhere to display it and store it safely I would build mine as a U.S. Marine bird,armed with a ton of AAM's.
I shall be watching this build for sure.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

seadude

Should be starting this bird soon this week. Probably on Weds.  :thumbsup:  I remember member Supertom also built a Shinden from a while ago. So if he's reading my thread and would like to offer any helpful advice on this build, I'd welcome it. ;)

seadude

Alright, time to kick the tires and light the fires on this project!  :mellow:

"You have the right to live, and you have the right to die. Now make your choice, before we fly." :tornado:

So anyway...........started a tiny bit tonight, but didn't get very far. A color callout for the 2D engine nozzles calls for a color of "Burnt Iron", but nothing in the Testor or Tamiya color chart books I have at home has anything with that name. What the heck is Burnt Iron and what is the closest equivalent color?

Gondor

Burnt Iron is made by at least one manufacturer. Xtracolor do some https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X508 though I suspect it would cost you a small fortune to get a tin delivered to Canada.
Essentially is a dark version of Steel as its supposed to have been heated. Try playing around with some Steel painted onto something scrap then trying various washes such as Tamiya Smoke over the top or mixing some black or grey into a small amount of paint.
For a comparison look at pictures of engine exhausts and paint appropriately.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Gunze also do burnt iron as part of their Mr Metal range.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

seadude

Xtracolor and Gunze are not carried by my hobby store that is near me. They only have Testor and Tamiya paints. I think they may have the Testor Metalizer line of paints, but I'm not sure. I have to go there today to pick up the May issue of FSM magazine, so I'll see what they have in stock.

seadude

Went to the hobby store today. They did carry a Burnt Iron metalizer paint in the Testor line, but it is for airbrushing only. And.........I don't own an airbrush and can't use one due to very bad eyesight issues as well as other factors.
Tamiya has what's called Dark Iron XF-84. The hobby store didn't have any in stock, but said they might be able to get some. Is this a possible alternative I could use?

zenrat

IME paints sold "for airbrushing only" can be brushed.  It can just take a number of coats and you might not get as smooth a finish as you'd get if sprayed.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 29, 2017, 03:17:59 AM
IME paints sold "for airbrushing only" can be brushed.  It can just take a number of coats and you might not get as smooth a finish as you'd get if sprayed.

Yup. It tends to mean they are pre-thinned. At least the ones I've brush painted appeared to be
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Odd thing about that Burnt Iron color....... :o

I pulled out the instructions to another model kit I have (Academy 1/48 F-22A) and took a look at the colors needed for the 2D engine nozzles for that. It calls for #'s 8 (Burnt Iron) and 19 (Metallic Gray).
So I look on the color chart and read the corresponding brand names and bottle #'s for Burnt Iron. Interestingly, the Testor corresponding #'s for Burnt Iron are 1796 Enamel and 4676 Acrylic. But those numbers are not Burnt Iron, but "Jet Exhaust". Huh?  :o  Is Jet Exhaust close enough to a Burnt Iron color?