XF5U-1 Flying Flapjack 1/48 Kittyhawk

Started by wacek85, March 13, 2017, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wacek85

Not user-friendly set of a model of very interesting fighter...

Kittyhawk Flying Flapjack is a difficult set. In fact , I'm not recommending it. Sprue gates in strange places, too long mounting bolts or even bolts in inadequate places etc.
Anyway, I'm happy with result byt sometimes I wanted to throw in out of the window.
Painted with Mr.Hobby paints with help of Tamiya washes and AK pigments.

DSCN2854 by Arti Kapi, on Flickr

sandiego89

Great weathering!  Just enough chipping and exhaust stains for that worn look. 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

That certainly is one weird looking aeroplane, I should get on and build my 1/72 version.

Superbly modelled though.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 13, 2017, 03:02:23 PM
That certainly is one weird looking aeroplane, I should get on and build my 1/72 version.

Superbly modelled though.  :thumbsup:

Second that! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

chrisonord

I am liking that, not seen many of those on here before.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

Flying billboard ! Great job on this one. For sure the weathering is out of this world, and the cockpit looks real !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AXU

Great result considering the difficulties experienced during assembly.
I really like the weathering...and the overall look !  :thumbsup: :wub:

zenrat

It may have been terrible kit but you did a great job.
I always think that these sit too low at the back.  I'd be tempted to try a tricycle undercarriage conversion.
Big long stalky legs though.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 14, 2017, 03:23:27 AM

I always think that these sit too low at the back.  I'd be tempted to try a tricycle undercarriage conversion.

From what I read the aerodynamics won't work then. The airflow from the monster props was meant to generate static lift over the wings at that angle of incidence and if the wing was flat it'd need a much longer take-off run.

I'm not sure how I'd fit longer wings to one though, it'd end up looking like a squashed pancake.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Longer wings would make it look like a flying pita bread.

I'm trying to picture one on floats...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Librarian

Beautifully made kit :thumbsup:.

Starting to think that Kitty Hawk and Kinetic are related...Matchbox quality soft mouldings and appalling fit problems. Built a couple now and will probably avoid them from now on.

Air21

What this plane needs is to switch to a pair of Merlin's transverse in the fuselage with some leading edge radiators.  The cowlings are the only thing sticking out of this awesome plane.  We might not be able to fit longer wings but we could for sure flatten it out.

Reno Pancake Racer maybe?

You did an awesome job, this is by far one of my favorite planes of all times.  The prototype V-173 isn't far from me in Dallas and it's gorgeous!

albeback

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 14, 2017, 04:51:06 AM
Quote from: zenrat on March 14, 2017, 03:23:27 AM

From what I read the aerodynamics won't work then. The airflow from the monster props was meant to generate static lift over the wings at that angle of incidence and if the wing was flat it'd need a much longer take-off run.

I'm not sure how I'd fit longer wings to one though, it'd end up looking like a squashed pancake.  ;D ;)

I think it might be doable. I've been toying with the idea of deleting the horizontal tail planes, fitting it with a V tail & fitting roughly triangular wing extensions with rounded tips outboard of the  props.. Figure it might end up looking like one of those splendid Martian War Machines from the 1953 War of the Worlds.

Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!