Space Battleship Yamato "Flying Tigers" Cosmo Falcon

Started by seadude, February 23, 2017, 05:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Got to admit, these BANDAI kits are pretty fun.  :thumbsup: Not only have I done the 1/500 Space Battleship Yamato and the 1/1000 Gamillas Darold Battlecarrier, but I also find myself sitting down tonight to start on the 1/72 scale SBY2199 Type 99 Cosmo Falcon Fighter. There are two versions of this kit: A grey colored fighter and a blue colored fighter. I have the blue one as shown below from some Internet pics I found.

I'm currently looking for alternative whif paint schemes to use for my Cosmo Falcon build. Anybody got any ideas? I did find one alternative whif on DeviantArt as shown below. I don't want to repeat what that guy did, but rather make my fighter into a US Navy or Air Force space superiority fighter.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

RAFF-35

Being in the midst of the soviet GB, it would only be proper to suggest a sovietised version.  Looks wise it's already there, could even have been Sukhoi's rival to the ferret?
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

zenrat

I've got one of these.  I'm keen to see what you do with it.

How about Swedish fields & meadows splinter pattern?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

A weird looking device for sure.  :o

Are those the intakes on top of the fuselage either side of the fin?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 23, 2017, 11:47:14 PM

How about Swedish fields & meadows splinter pattern?

Yup, or USAF Vietnam era scheme ? Looks like it's great,great,great grand-daddy could have been an F.100 to me  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Quote from: RAFF-35 on February 23, 2017, 11:28:07 PM
Being in the midst of the soviet GB, it would only be proper to suggest a sovietised version.  Looks wise it's already there, could even have been Sukhoi's rival to the ferret?

Possible. I could build it as a Soviet version.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 24, 2017, 02:26:59 AM
A weird looking device for sure.  :o

Are those the intakes on top of the fuselage either side of the fin?

Yes, those are the intakes.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

nighthunter

I could see a revival of the USN/MC Gull Gray over white and full color squadron or CAG markings
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

ChernayaAkula

What a cool beast!  :wacko: Looks like it has Draken ancestry, a couple of generations back.

Quote from: RAFF-35 on February 23, 2017, 11:28:07 PM
Being in the midst of the soviet GB, it would only be proper to suggest a sovietised version.  <...>

Being flown to the Arctic, where it will rendez-vous with a USN submarine?  :-X
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

seadude

I think I've pretty much settled on a paint scheme for my Cosmo Falcon. I'm going to go with a WWII Flying Tigers paint scheme and markings. Since I really don't do camouflage patterns, the upper fuselage will be olive drab. The lower fuselage will be light or medium grey. I already have a shark's mouth decal for under the fighter nose from the kit decal sheet, but I don't have any other Flying Tiger decals and markings at home. Since I'm going to a contest in a week, I'll see what I can find in the vendor area.

Anybody else have any ideas or suggestions for paint and decal options for a Flying Tigers Cosmo Falcon?

ChernayaAkula

Look for Sky Models' P-40 sheet: LINK! Usually cheap, plenty of options, printed by Cartograf - doesn't get better than that.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

nighthunter

I have the "Hell's Angels" squadron decals from the Academy kit, if you're interested.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

NARSES2

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on February 25, 2017, 06:38:59 PM
Look for Sky Models' P-40 sheet: LINK! Usually cheap, plenty of options, printed by Cartograf - doesn't get better than that.  :thumbsup:

Got that one  :thumbsup:

Can thoroughly recommend these Sky sheets. The only problem is cutting the individual transfers out as the sheets are very,very crowded, but excellent value.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Nice, but I need 1/72 scale, not 1/48.  Found a new development last night that is giving me a headache.  :banghead: The shark mouth decal that comes with the kit is one large piece. And if you look at the pics I posted in my very first post, you'll see the underside of the fighter where the two "prongs" for lack of a better word at the nose of the craft, are supposed to fit on the fighter on top of the decal. The problem is that there are no holes or cutouts in the decal for the locator pins on the prongs to fit through.  :banghead: There are holes in the decal for where the gun ports are, so I have to make sure I line up the decal carefully over those.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: seadude on February 26, 2017, 07:25:50 AM
Nice, but I need 1/72 scale, not 1/48. <...>

They also do a 1/72 version.  :thumbsup:
I thought I'd link to the 1/48 version as this craft here is quite a bit bigger than a 1/72 P-40. Maybe that's something you want to consider. Size of personal markings and how prominent you want them to appear and stuff like that.

Also, please consider giving it a camo scheme. Since it's a Flying Tiger, you could even do a brown-ish basecoat and green tiger stripes.  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

seadude

This project will be on temporary hold for awhile as I am now currently getting ready for a model contest coming up this weekend. Sorry, folks.