Defiant and MB5 Rapier F5

Started by The Wooksta!, February 21, 2017, 07:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Two photos of two of my most recent completions - I hesitate to say builds as these have been on and mostly off for the best part of a decade or more!

Defiant single seat Tank buster.
Pegasus TT kit modified to be a single seater, 3D Vickers S guns and a resin armoured Hurricane radiator.  It was easier to recarve the closed Airfix Defiant doors than to cut new ones from plastic card.

Rapier F5
Basically, a Pegasus MB5 but re-engined with a RR Eagle.  Other tiny mods were some work in the cockpit, Magna vacform canopy, a fin fillet and drop tanks nicked from a Heller Tempest.  2TAF scheme and the eagle eyed may spot the significance of the markings.  The prop is the last Wyvern prop that John Adams had - the mould is now shot and he's not replacing it.

Photos: Rob Sullivan
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Glad there here. Liked both of them at Huddersfield  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I like both of them Lee.

The Defiant looks really good with the S cannon and the re-engined MB5 looks REALLY mean.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Great stuff, Lee.

The Defiant looks sharp.  For the BoB GB I'd thought of a turret Hurricane anternative to the Hotspur, turret and fuselage extension from a Defiant.  The remaining Defiant bits would be used for a single seater.  Never happened of course.

The MB5 - excellent.  Apart from the dorsal fin fillet exactly what I had in mind as per the recent PMs. 
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

comrade harps

The Defiant is so Hurricane, until you look closer. Wonderful.  :thumbsup:

And the MR5:  :wub:
Whatever.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on February 21, 2017, 01:16:37 PM

For the BoB GB I'd thought of a turret Hurricane anternative to the Hotspur, turret and fuselage extension from a Defiant.

I tried that Dave, and it's still '...in the formative stage....'

The main problem is that the Defiant's turret area is a LOT wider than the Hurricane's fuselage aft of the cockpit, and I couldn't figure out a way to fair one into the other without losing that lovely fabric effect on the Hurricane's rear fuselage.

I gave it the working title of 'Turricane'......  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

I very much like them both! And the codes on the MB.5 made me smile.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

The Wooksta!

]The MB5 - excellent.  Apart from the dorsal fin fillet exactly what I had in mind as per the recent PMs. 

I really had to add the fillet - MB aircraft nearly always had their fin area increased, so with the available engine power, I knew it'd need something extra, so a fillet it was.

Better get cracking on the Centaurus one...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 21, 2017, 04:56:08 PM
]The MB5 - excellent.  Apart from the dorsal fin fillet exactly what I had in mind as per the recent PMs. 

I really had to add the fillet - MB aircraft nearly always had their fin area increased, so with the available engine power, I knew it'd need something extra, so a fillet it was.

Hope you don't mind if I pinch that for my M.B.5 build

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 21, 2017, 04:56:08 PM

My thought processes were exactly the same when I built the Monsoooooon Reno racer.

Odd that pretty much all the MB aircraft suffered from the same problem, you'd have thought they'd have learnt as they went on.

Regards
Kit

dwomby

Love that MB5%.  Also appreciated the choice of code letters!

David

royabulgaf

What did you use to represent the RR Eagle?
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

Captain Canada

Those are both gorgeous Lee ! Love the Tank Buster especially. Clickin' and savin' that idea ! The colours look perfect on them both as well. Nice one.

:bow:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?