Blackburn Tigershark F1

Started by andrewj, February 18, 2017, 09:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

The cancellation of many British aircraft projects in the late 1950's , including the SR177 , left the Royal navy with a shortfall in capability. What the navy needed was a supersonic fighter to bridge the gap between it's current aircraft and later promising designs.
The Blackburn company offered the Tigershark , it was to be licence built using 90% of the design of the American Grumman F11 tiger, but modified to suit British needs. A larger radar was to be fitted ,new RR Spey engines with afterburning gave longer range combined with improved performance . Along with provision to carry Firestreak missiles , a strengthened undercarriage,flight refuelling capability and wing boundary layer control adapted from the Buccaneer design. this would allow the Tiger to operate from smaller British carriers.
The finished aircraft had an enhanced capability compared to the Grumman original and was designated the Blackburn Tigershark F1 in RN service.
The model represents one of the original service aircraft with 899 Sqd FAA

Andrew

chrisonord

Very nice, all be it a bit too nice to be anything Blackburn made  :rolleyes: :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Librarian

She's a beauty. Always a soft-spot for the Tiger and that new radome gives her a bit more growl :wub:. Beauty :thumbsup:

Glenn Gilbertson

What a beauty - she really looks the business! :thumbsup:

zenrat

Quote from: chrisonord on February 18, 2017, 11:14:27 AM
Very nice, all be it a bit too nice to be anything Blackburn made  :rolleyes: :thumbsup:
Chris

Second that.  Far too attractive.  ;D

Great job. :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

She does look good  :thumbsup: and quite different from a standard Tigershark
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

king of men

I don't remember that I've ever seen a Tiger in Royal Navy markings before. Well done.
All hail 1:72!
Visit the blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/
Visit 72 Scale Aircraft forum at http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php

nighthunter

Beautiful, need to get my Irish F11F done
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

kitbasher

Very smart, well done.

Mind you, the F-11 is such a good looking aircraft it'd take some effort to ugly one up!  To my eye they look as what Hawkers may have done through extrapolation of the Hunter as Dassault did (to me) in evolving the Super Mystere via the Etendard into the Super Etendard.  Yes I can see Sidney Came designing the F-11. 
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Weaver

Oh nice one!  That looks really good. :thumbsup:

I have a Royal Navy Tiger on the bench at the moment, which would probably have been finished by now if it wasn't for a paint problem. My backstory and spec are way different though: I have Blackburn building Skyhawks and the Tigers built by Hawker Siddeley, for instance.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Dizzyfugu

Sweet. The RN colors suit the Tiger well.  :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Nice work right there! That looks great! 
-Sprues McDuck-

sandiego89

Great idea and very well done.  Did you do anything for the Spey Conversion, or just words?  Hard to tell from the angles.  Not a criticism, just curious. Great job, especially like the radome, probe and paint.   

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

The Tiger's the sort of aircraft that's just naturally overlooked for some reason, but it was quite significant, and in FAA service it would have been excellent I'm sure, especially with Spey power.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit