Tumansky Ta-1 "Flatfish"

Started by Librarian, February 18, 2017, 05:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

Tumansky, more famous for their aero-engines, made one highly successful foray into the world of aircraft design. As a competitor for the Mig-21, both aircraft showed too much promise and both were given production contracts. The Mig went on to be produced in large numbers of many different types whilst the Ta-1 was found to be harder to update etc without compromising the performance of the initial design. Exported to many 'allied' states, she become most famous for giving Israeli Mirages the major willies over the deserts of the Middle East:

My workspace...er...a corner of the dining-table ;D

....and a first coat of paint. Love jets, they go together so quickly and smoothly. Started this last night :o

I've absolutely no Soviet weapons of any sort in the 'bin' so I'll leave this one clean. Waiting on decals from the US so that'll slow things up somewhat.

I ordered this kit from Poland for  2/3 the price (incl. P&P) of what was to be found here, on Wednesday, and it arrived Friday morning...sorry UK guys but that kind of price and service means I have enormous conscience-trouble supporting our economy.

NARSES2

Interesting idea and she'll look good in red stars

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RAFF-35

Looking very soviet-ish already, great NATO code name too  ;D are you going to do anything with the pretty Swedish nose to make it look more thuggish and utilitarian?  ;D
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

Dizzyfugu

I wonder how a Draken with a MiG-21-ish nose air intake would look like...?

Librarian

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 18, 2017, 10:39:21 AM

Go for it :thumbsup: You're the man for that job.

I'm currently worn out with far too much cutting, filling, sanding etc so decided to keep this one OTB. Some serious fit issues with this kit but I've read a few build-reviews over the years to have been prepared. I'd like to have done a SU-15 style nose but that would have involved widening the nose aft of the radome and.... :banghead:.

Pretty much finished apart from a second coat on the canopy and decals. Post a piccie ASAP.

Librarian

Been a lot of fun! Not completely finished as I'm waiting for a decal off a sheet on its way. A vague memory sent me searching through some old drawers in the shed and I came up with a couple of B8-M rocket pods from a SU-24 build years ago...makes the "Flatfish" look a bit more Soviet:

Quite tempted to blow the budget and sovietise a Viggen ;D

I'll post her in the finished thread when that last decal arrives.

TheChronicOne

GLorious!!!  Damn, that turned out great. Looks Soviet as can be.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 18, 2017, 10:39:21 AM

A Mig-21 with Draken intakes would look MUCH prettier.....

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

I like it but I think it would have had a more Soviet look if the intakes had been enlarged slightly & squared-off. :thumbsup:

Actually, I think I have a 1/72 Draken in the stash ... Hmmm?! :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Librarian on February 19, 2017, 07:40:01 AM
Quite tempted to blow the budget and sovietise a Viggen ;D
DO IT

Draken certainly looks Soviet with those rocket pods, and I think even the intakes need not be squared off to give the impression. What a difference a paintjob makes!

kerick

Well done! The green paint on the radome looks the part too!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Glenn Gilbertson