Conversion of RMS QE2 to Harrier Carrier

Started by davecov, February 17, 2017, 04:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davecov

It has been a couple of years or more since I last did a "What-If" but here is one I have just finished. It is a conversion of the Airfix 1/600 RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 to a "Harrier Carrier".

The background story is that the Falklands Conflict did not end with the surrender of the Argentine forces on the Falklands but it became a much longer war with Argentina. The Royal Navy found itself in need of more amphibious ships and aircraft carriers. HMS Bulwark was to be brought out of mothballs and recomissioned as a stop-gap but due to her age and poor condition of her hull it was necessary to find another way to fill the gap. It was decided that the QE2 would be dropped from it's role as troopship and converted to a "Harrier Carrier" but with an amphibious dock at the stern.

The conversion entails removing all decks above the weather deck, building an island to starboard, building sponsons either side, with davits on the starboard side for landing craft, cutting out a stern dock and fitting a flight deck with lifts.

White metal Harriers and helicopters came from Tumbling Dice. Landing craft were made from plastic card and apart from the Airfix QE2 there are parts from another six Airfix kits.

Dave

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Another six kits ?! Wow ! That's a lot of parts and it certainly turned out in our favour ! Love the sleek look of her, and the mixed flight deck, especially the SAR Sea King ! Great job on the landing craft as well those look perfect !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Hobbes

PR19_Kit

That's VERY clever.  :thumbsup:

I like the way you kept the QE2's original funnel as it shows the ship's origins very well, but almost everything else looks SO different. Great job.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

davecov

Thanks, lads  :thumbsup:
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 17, 2017, 01:57:26 PM
I like the way you kept the QE2's original funnel as it shows the ship's origins very well, but almost everything else looks SO different. Great job.
It was difficult to keep any QE2 bits but I was able to use the funnel, foremast, bridge and cranes externally and some of the QE2 decks internally.

Dave

Glenn Gilbertson

kerick

I thought the funnel looked unusual for a warship but now I know why! Nice touch. :mellow:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

davecov

Once again, thank you for your comments.  ;D

Dave

JoeP

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

chrisonord

That looks so right, it really does  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!