RNZAF TF-4k Phantom c.1988

Started by KiwiZac, February 11, 2017, 10:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Hi all,
A little while ago I did this, and worked on expanding Greg's story. Unfortunately the story was lost in a PC self-wipe, but that hasn't stopped me working on the second Kiwi Phantom: this time, a trainer in the Lizard scheme of the late 80s.

5B9B6648-2EE6-406E-8704-AFC48F6B21A3_zpsgnhjmaa6 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
34DFC4E5-0294-4C79-8E01-3636E23D207C_zpsjecoavot by Zac Yates, on Flickr
A571818F-EA96-4BB8-90CD-DD068C8BF792_zpspgkidpp6 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
1961D80D-2FAF-467C-87DC-C083CF24E690_zpsk3bgkxp6 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Hasegawa kit with self-made resin copies of the Fujimi exhausts, Ventura and Flying Kiwis decals with a pair of random Sidewinders and a pair of Hasegawa SUU-20 pods to represent a Toom on a training mission. Tamiya acrylics brushed using the RNZAF's camouflage scheme which I happened across online. Lovely!

I'll restart the story tomorrow at work as I still have two Phantoms I want to build.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

Ooh I like it.  It looks menacing although that may be due to the tinted canopy.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Looks good in that camo, nice job. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Is that the scheme that the RNZAF used on their Skyhawks? It really suits the Phantom, nice job.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

That looks nice other than the engine nozzles being too big for the airframe around them. Might try that on a proper F-4K/M though.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

KiwiZac

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 12, 2017, 03:28:44 AM
Is that the scheme that the RNZAF used on their Skyhawks? It really suits the Phantom, nice job.  :thumbsup:
It is. I'm basically swapping Phantoms in for the Skyhawks and used the RNZAF's marking scheme diagrams as best I could.

Thanks guys!

Gondor - true, but it was cheap and this is the second project I've used this model for. One day the paint will be so thick the exhausts will be faired in!
Zac in NZ

Gondor

Quote from: KiwiZac on February 12, 2017, 01:11:24 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 12, 2017, 03:28:44 AM
It is. I'm basically swapping Phantoms in for the Skyhawks and used the RNZAF's marking scheme diagrams as best I could.

Thanks guys!

Gondor - true, but it was cheap and this is the second project I've used this model for. One day the paint will be so thick the exhausts will be faired in!

Sounds good to me.  ;D  What decals did you use on her Zac?

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

KiwiZac

This one was Ventura roundels and finflashes, serials from a NZ-exclusive boxing of the Italeri A-4 with Flying Kiwis late Kahu markings, and stencilly things  from the Fujimi Phantom (I think).
Zac in NZ

Gondor

Quote from: KiwiZac on February 12, 2017, 04:42:37 PM
This one was Ventura roundels and finflashes, serials from a NZ-exclusive boxing of the Italeri A-4 with Flying Kiwis late Kahu markings, and stencilly things  from the Fujimi Phantom (I think).

Thanks Zac  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Old Wombat

Nice little build & paint job there, 'Zac! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

Looks so right ! Love the bomblet droppers, nice touch !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

Thanks gents!

Cap - I figured it made more sense to do a training mission as the Skyhawks were never used in combat, and this story is a straightforward swap. Hence the SUU-20s!

For those of you playing at home, here's one of the RNZAF marking scheme diagrams I worked off. Thank goodness for FS numbers and internet conversion tables! I found this online but if anyone wants the full set PM me :)
Zac in NZ