Macchi MC205

Started by zenrat, February 05, 2017, 02:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

In a world with no war international differences are resolved through sport. 
The pinnacle of sporting events is the Aerolympics where brave airmen and airwomen take to the skies to win for their countries the prestige and honour of victory.

Macchi MC205
Italian National Team.  IXth Aerolympiad, Helsinki, August 1944.

The rules for the Aerolympic decathlon required the same aircraft be used for each of the ten events.  For the decathlon at Helsinki the Italian team entered a trio of Macchi MC205s - an aircraft developed specifically for the event.
Powered by a Daimler Benz DB605, the use of a German engine caused controversy in Italy leading to questions in parliament and a (unsuccessful) campaign in the popular press demanding immediate replacement with a home sourced powerplant.
The No. 17 aircraft pictured was piloted by Marco Rossolini.
Macchi MC 205 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Macchi MC 205 9 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Macchi MC 205 4 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Model.
Italeri 1/72 Macchi MC205 Veltro.
Painted in Tamiya Italian Red from a rattle can.
Decals from AMT 1/25 Double Dragster.
There are more than a few fit issues with this kit (as with the MC202 from the same source).  Particularly irritating are the poorly fitting clear parts.
Still, it looks good when finally together.
Macchi MC 205 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AXU

So simple and yet so elegant  :wub: well done  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on February 05, 2017, 02:51:11 AM

Decals from AMT 1/25 Double Dragster.

I KNEW I recognised that race number from somewhere.  ;D

What a great use of 'cross kitted' and scale-o-rama components.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: AXU on February 05, 2017, 04:35:11 AM
So simple and yet so elegant  :wub: well done  :thumbsup:

Couldn't have put that better myself. Superb  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Glorious, dude!!! I'm loving non military stuff more and more these days and this right here is why.   :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

strobez

Whoooo... very nice.  I like Macchi planes quite a bit and this is a nice representation of why.  Very sleek lines.

I'm looking high and low for a Macchi M.52 float plane in 1/72, so I always get a my hopes up just a bit when I see the Macchi name.
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Thanks folks.
There will be more in a similar vein.  Using the traditional car racing colours makes deciding on schemes easy but what colour would the Soviet Union have used?  I'm thinking like the US but Red with Blue racing stripes instead of White with Blue.

Macchi M.52 is a gorgeous looking plane.  I saw a range of 1/72 Schneider Trophy aircraft at Model Expo a couple of years ago.  Can't remember who made them or what they cost but I wish I had bought at least one.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on February 06, 2017, 01:10:53 AM

There will be more in a similar vein.  Using the traditional car racing colours makes deciding on schemes easy but what colour would the Soviet Union have used?  I'm thinking like the US but Red with Blue racing stripes instead of White with Blue.

Overall red with blue stripes, themselves outlined with yellow pinstripes maybe? Harking back to the hammer and sickle on the flag.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Yes, that would work.
And Red with Yellow stripes for China.

Thanks Kit.
Fred

Captain Canada

Lady in Red ! That's our race number. 17. Beauty !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

"Lady in Red."  I like that..  She's certainly a looker.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Very nice, mr z! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Agree with the Simple yet Elegant comment, and a nice left-turn from reality for solving disputes.

Tophe

Beautiful! In shape and the fireman color increases its goodness! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Fred