Soviet Stealth - SU-40 Flatliner

Started by DogfighterZen, February 02, 2017, 03:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Ok, i'm in. I was convinced by the other two projects in this GB using the same kit so, i'll join the fun with my take on this thing...
Changes are to be made in the nose, wings and stabs but i'll probably only have time to get started on it during the weekend.

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

It wasn't so late so i decided to get this one started, just minor work...

The nose had a bit of Tamiya putty beauty treatment done on it, and the Hasegawa's F-16I wings are just what the doctor ordered... as you can see, there's also a bit of PSR in my future... :wacko:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jalles

Yahoo! Another Mig-37!  Those wings look killer.  I can't wait to see what you do with the nose!

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 02, 2017, 04:58:40 PM
Those wings do look right !

:thumbsup:

Second that, that should look good. I converted one some time ago with transplants from an F-117, with much less sweep. Looked different, but this one should look really sharp. I hope the tail picks up the simple wing shape, too?

DogfighterZen

Thanks, guys!  :thumbsup: It seems like everything fell into place for this one...
I thought about F-16 wings for this since i bought the kit and realized i didn't like it, it's ugly!! ;D It needed plastic surgery but i guess i didn't do it then because i had no F-16 wings in the spares bag.

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 03, 2017, 01:43:10 AM
Quote from: Captain Canada on February 02, 2017, 04:58:40 PM
Those wings do look right !

:thumbsup:

Second that, that should look good. I converted one some time ago with transplants from an F-117, with much less sweep. Looked different, but this one should look really sharp. I hope the tail picks up the simple wing shape, too?

Ya, Dizzy, i'm gonna try to scale down the wings' shape for the tails... but it will become a 4 poster tail design, though... :wacko:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

63cpe

Lovely concept! i'll follow this one!

David

DogfighterZen

Glad you like the idea, guys! :thumbsup:
That rear  fuselage will be cut up, it's way too wide, gotta slim it down a bit to create the fairings/attachment points for the horizontal stabs.

DogfighterZen

So, this is what's been done in the past few days...

New shape of the tails...

Reshaped the nozzle area...

And as i don't have any Russian aircraft colors, i had to mix up green and blue with a good share of white in the mix to get close... i thought it was close enough so i painted up the cockpit section but i think the seat will get some more attention, also still not sure if there will be a pilot or not...

Now, i knew i was forgetting something when i finished painting the cockpit and threw away the little mixed paint left, only after it was all gone that i remembered that the wheel bays are the same color... Guess i'll have to match that mix to finish the interiors... :banghead:
Anyway, i still have to figure out how the thrust vectoring nozzle is going to look like, how the horizontal stabs will be attached to the aft fuselage... :rolleyes:

Snowtrooper

Quote from: DogfighterZen on February 06, 2017, 04:43:47 PM
i remembered that the wheel bays are the same color... Guess i'll have to match that mix to finish the interiors... :banghead:
Matching paint tones? In a Soviet aircraft? :wacko:

The blue-green is like the infamous US Zinc Chromate, even neighbouring parts could be different coloured depending on the time of the day. Every manufacturer had their own formula and it wasn't that exact even within the same factory. :rolleyes: Yes, there was an official standard which was (in theory) supposed to be followed, before some JMN's put polonium in my morning tea.

DogfighterZen

Matching colors... i have a few colors from Vallejo, some Revell enamel tins and a few of the Humbrol colors that come with starter sets, but i normally only use Tamiya acrylics, and these aren't exact matches for FS numbers so, i end up mixing colors most of the time i wanna get a tone similar to a real one... i normally go by what i see, if it's close enough, i'll take it cause i know the color variation can have such a wide range of tones within the same color on the same plane, be it from weathering or just a slightly different mix or brand in the paint shop... and i really don't care that much if it's not the same.
When i'm saying match, don't think i'll waste too much time or paint on the subject... i didn't try to match the real tone in the first place, only come close enough, that's why i didn't mix too much paint to start with... but if the new mix doesn't come out exactly the same as the cockpit tone, who cares? :wacko:
Anyway, i think i'll be able to get very close to it, it's an easy mix. :thumbsup:

kerick

Would F-16 wings from a 1/144th scale kit for work for horizontal stabilizers?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

DogfighterZen

Could be a good starting point but i'm not really aware of their size in 1/144 and don't have any Viper kit in that scale... I'm thinking of reshaping the wings a bit so i might go with reshaped 1/72 F-16 horizontal stabs to match.

NARSES2

Quote from: Snowtrooper on February 07, 2017, 04:19:36 AM

Matching paint tones? In a Soviet aircraft? :wacko:

The blue-green is like the infamous US Zinc Chromate, even neighbouring parts could be different coloured depending on the time of the day.

The only colour I'm aware of that is consistent across all types is the green used on the wheels ? All made in the same plant and use "tractor green" as that's what the plant made pre Great Patriotic War. I really hope that's a true story  ;D

Anyway I really am liking this build  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.