One of two tales of modern UK aircraft manufacturing

Started by rickshaw, January 18, 2017, 04:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

'Headless men' in sex scandal named

Unidentified lover in Duchess of Argyll divorce case exposed as not one but two men - a cabinet minister and a swashbuckling movie star

Sarah Ball

It was a scandal that rocked the nation: an aristocratic beauty was photographed performing fellatio on a lover, while shots of another man gratifying himself were unearthed in her boudoir.

The sexually explicit Polaroid snaps proved central in the 1958 divorce of the Duke and Duchess of Argyll, and became part of a government investigation.

The duchess's reputation was ruined, but her lover escaped nearly blameless, his identity forgotten d for almost 40 years by the camera cutting him off at the neck.

Tonight, the mystery of the "headless man" - or rather headless men - is resolved for the first time, with new evidence identifying not one, but two, lovers.

The man in the more notorious shot is unveiled as Duncan Sandys, then a cabinet minister, and his masturbating rival as Douglas Fairbanks Jr, the Hollywood legend who dallied with Marlene Dietrich and married Joan Crawford.
The two men's identities are revealed in a Channel 4 documentary to be shown tonight, Secret History: The Duchess and the Headless Man, which draws on the memories of the duchess's confidante, who identifies Sandys, and previously unpublished evidence gathered by the nation's then most senior law lord, Lord Denning. This formed part of his inquiry into security risks which resulted in the resignation of the then secretary of state for war, John Profumo.

Sandys's identity is "conclusively proved", the documentary makers believe, by the duchess's claim that the only Polaroid camera in the country at the time had been lent to the Ministry of Defence, where Sandys was a minister. Fairbanks is nailed by his handwriting.

The Argyll case, heard in March 1958 - was the longest and most sensational divorce to occur in Britain.

Margaret Argyll, the only child of a self-made Scottish millionaire, was a society beauty who her husband alleged had slept with 88 men, including two cabinet ministers and three royals.

At a stormy cabinet meeting on June 20, Sandys, the son-in-law of Winston Churchill, confessed he was rumoured to be the person in the erotic shots, which, at that time, were presumed to be of one man.

He offered to resign but Macmillan managed to dissuade him by ensuring Lord Denning, who had been commissioned to investigate the Profumo scandal, also investigated the identity of the headless lover.

For this Denning, the master of the rolls, had a plan. On the four shots of the man in different states of arousal were handwritten captions: "before", "thinking of you", "during - oh", and "finished". If he could match the handwriting, he would find his man.

He invited the five key suspects - Sandys, Fairbanks, American businessman John Cohane, Peter Combe, an ex-press officer at the Savoy, and Sigismund von Braun, the diplomat brother of the Nazi scientist Werner von Braun - to the Treasury and asked for their help in a "very delicate matter".

As they arrived, each signed the visitor's register. Their handwriting was analysed by a graphologist, and the results proved conclusive. As the broadcaster Peter Jay, then a young Treasury official, tells the documentary: "The headless man identified by the handwriting expert and therefore identified by Lord Denning, though he didn't write this down in his report, was, in fact, the actor Douglas Fairbanks Jr."

Duncan Sandys, who in 1974 was given a peerage, appeared to be in the clear - a fact confirmed by a Harley Street doctor who concluded his pubic hair did not correspond with that in the masturbation photos.

But tonight's documentary confirms the other photograph clearly showed a different man whose identity the duchess hinted at to her close friend Paul Vaughan just before her death.

"She did say to me quite clearly that, 'Of course, sweetie, the only Polaroid camera in the country at this time had been lent to the Ministry of Defence,'" recalls Mr Vaughan. "If that wasn't running a flag up the flag pole, I don't know what was. She wanted someone to know." Analysis of the film suggests the photo was taken in 1957, at which stage Sandys held his defence post.

"We believe it's pretty definitive," said Dan Corn, the programme's producer. "It's ironic because he effectively got away with it by being cleared by Denning."

The duchess died in a Pimlico nursing home in July 1993, without even hinting at the identity of her other lover. But despite this discretion, she never recovered from her reputation being so besmirched during her divorce.

Summing up, the judge, Lord Wheatley, said: "She was a highly sexed woman who had ceased to be satisfied with normal relations and had started to indulge in disgusting sexual activities."
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

I assume the aircraft bit is to come ? For the life of me I can't work out how or where however  :o ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

So ended the career of Duncan Sandys, before he could hand down his infamous White Paper.   The consequences of which were far reaching.  Instead of the RAF cancelling all aircraft development in favour of guided weapons, the British aircraft manufacturers continued to produce aircraft.    The result was a proliferation of types.  Some successful, some not...

In 1961, the English Electric corporation began to develop a new version of it's Lightning interceptor.   Utilising a mixed powerplant consisting of a rocket motor and a Turbojet the hoped to provide the RAF with the means to intercept any approaching enemy bombers, well out into the Sea before the could approach the British coastline.    The first version was a little, well "insipid" was the best word to describe it.   The Avon turbojet which was chosen was just adequate to push the aircraft back to base.   Roll Royce however came to the party with a new type of powerplant, a Turbofan, the Spey.   When combined with a de Havilland Spectre producing approximately 10,000 lbs of thrust for over 30 minutes, the aircraft was capable a phenomenal performance, climbing to 80,000 ft in less than five minutes and reaching a speed of Mach 2+.

In 1964, English Electric went on a sales drive, attempting to sell their new interceptor to primarily small countries which did not require long range but require high performance such as Singapore, Brunei, Sri Lanka, Israel.   They had considerable success in all of them.  In Tel Aviv in particular, fears of the Arab Bomb drove their acquisition of the Lightning F.7 as it had been christened by the RAF.  They up armed their aircraft, using the overwing pylons for two additional Sidewinders in addition to the two Red Top missiles normally carried, with of course two 30mm ADEN cannons.

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 18, 2017, 06:36:13 AM
I assume the aircraft bit is to come ? For the life of me I can't work out how or where however  :o ;D

You question has been answered...   :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Indeed, it's the date that's important and I hadn't twigged  :thumbsup:

You didn't have access to some old D Noticed News of the World files in writing your back story did you ?  ;) ;D

Nice build, very imaginative use of the Tiffie front end  :thumbsup: Looks very A-7 ish up front
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

The nose looks like a Sabredog gone mad! Well done.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Glenn Gilbertson

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 18, 2017, 07:05:33 AM
Indeed, it's the date that's important and I hadn't twigged  :thumbsup:

You didn't have access to some old D Noticed News of the World files in writing your back story did you ?  ;) ;D

Nope.  Just an old article I found on the web from the Gruinard.

Nice build, very imaginative use of the Tiffie front end  :thumbsup: Looks very A-7 ish up front

It is based on a picture I saw over at BTS.   The user had used a Tempest nose on a Lightning fuselage to create a mashup.  So, I found an old Matchbox Tempest and used the spare nose in that.   I then opened up the front cockpit for the pilot, used a lot of spare sprue, plasticard and Milliput, a load of PSR and hey, presto!    The Sidewinders came from the spares box and the markings off an Israeli sheet I have.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 18, 2017, 08:09:34 AM
Where did the canopy come from please Brian?

Ah, now that was the hard bit.  It is a Pavla canopy for a Delfin trainer.   It is open 'cause it doesn't actually match the contours of the fuselage.  I ruined the first one, way back in December when cutting it out.  I had to hurriedly order another one and it finally arrived the other day.  Then it was just cutting it out and painting it.

Old Wombat

Nose definitely looks like a Sabre-Dog/Corsair II morph.

Nice build, mate! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on January 18, 2017, 05:27:12 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 18, 2017, 08:09:34 AM
Where did the canopy come from please Brian?

Ah, now that was the hard bit.  It is a Pavla canopy for a Delfin trainer.   It is open 'cause it doesn't actually match the contours of the fuselage.  I ruined the first one, way back in December when cutting it out.  I had to hurriedly order another one and it finally arrived the other day.  Then it was just cutting it out and painting it.

Ahah, that's creative thinking, nice one.  :thumbsup:

I used a vacform canopy from a two seat Mirage III for my Lightning F8 a zillion years ago, and I recall that took a lot of work to fair it into the fuselage contours.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit