Glamorous Glennis: the orangest Microjet

Started by KiwiZac, January 15, 2017, 02:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

A while ago I scored an Arii 1/72 BD-5 kit for NZ$5, the catch being it was only the prop kit (the model normally builds two aircraft, one prop and one jet).
7A2C234D-3C53-4B67-80BC-0F16019F04A1_zpshvjjyj1g by Zac Yates, on Flickr

No matter - I drilled out the prop shaft housing to make it more jet-y and added a couple of spare intakes and voila! But how to paint it? Hang on...how big are the decals in this 1/144 Bell X-1 kit?....

DE8B73D0-2764-41DC-B9F0-4B04D58EA366_zpsc1juhsmn by Zac Yates, on Flickr
9B2475C1-1F6C-4BBC-9D0E-14D9B7F21D9B_zpskvxlijfl by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Here it is in the palm of my hand for scale:
B58D8BAD-5882-4851-90E0-C811270C4E2C_zpscnpknwwy by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Dragon 1/144 Bell X-1 decals. The paint is the Humbrol acrylic orange that came with the 1/32 Aston Martin DB-5 Starter Set.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

Love it!  :wub:

I guess Yeager used it to get back and forth to Edwards AFB to fly the X-1, yes?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

I figured because some folks like to paint their homebuilts in pseudo-military colours, it'd make sense to do this! Here it is in pride of place on The Shelf:
Zac in NZ

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

comrade harps

Whatever.

TheChronicOne

Awesome! That looks great.  :D :D  Love orange stuff. 
-Sprues McDuck-

sandiego89

That looks great! Great idea.  I guess no room to put some weight in the nose! 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

Thanks all!

Nope, even if I had some it would be beyond a squeeze!
Zac in NZ

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 15, 2017, 05:11:23 PM
That looks great! Great idea.  I guess no room to put some weight in the nose!

You're not kidding!  :o

The LS BD-5 has zero room anywhere for noseweight, but I got around the problem with one of mine by making the cockpit floor out of lead and putting lead rods inside the pilot. Just fitting a pilot in there is a pain as there's no room for their legs and they need to be 18" wide in scale!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Well I can not remember how I got the nose weight into mine, but I did, and here it is.
Mine is Pink.

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,25161.0.html

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on January 16, 2017, 11:35:56 AM

Well I can not remember how I got the nose weight into mine, but I did, and here it is.

Quoting your own thread Jim "Nose weight was one single lead-shot fishing weight (yes the evil fish poisoning stuff) and the nose mounted pitot tube was replaced with a metal pin. you need all the weight you can get in the nose of this little beast. "

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Whoa hold on... just a quick side question... the "fish poisoning stuff..." Is that the white powdery stuff on coating the things??  I always figured it was bad business be it a "corrosion" type dirty build up (what I assumed it was because of where they were stored.. ) or whatever so I made damn sure to wash my hands really well after I handled them and washed the tools I used to shape them but I had no idea... I guess I'll be even more careful now. So to be sure, that's not a figure of speech and that white stuff *is* poison?
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 16, 2017, 01:46:21 PM

Whoa hold on... just a quick side question... the "fish poisoning stuff..." Is that the white powdery stuff on coating the

It's the lead itself that poisons the fish, and us as well of course.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 16, 2017, 02:06:42 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 16, 2017, 01:46:21 PM

Whoa hold on... just a quick side question... the "fish poisoning stuff..." Is that the white powdery stuff on coating the

It's the lead itself that poisons the fish, and us as well of course.

OK, just wanted to make sure this stuff wasn't DOUBLY dangerous.  :o :o  WHEW!   

I figure as long as I don't eat any of it I'm good to go.   :thumbsup: ;D
-Sprues McDuck-