Caudron Renault C.714 - Finished pics

Started by strobez, December 28, 2016, 03:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

Alrighty, she's done!  All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  The worst part was the canopy... specifically having to mask the rear canopy 3 times.  After sanding and shining, masking and painting the first two times, I just didn't have the heart to try again.  The first time was because the sticky paper clean up fogged up the canopy and ruined the masked paint.  The second was because I used white glue to try and fill in some gaps and it didn't quite work and I ended up removing a lot of paint with the mask.  Oh, well.

On the good side, besides the scratch-built cockpit I was happy with cutting up the canopy and adding a little handle to the open position.  I was also happy with my scratch-built gunsight - made from a bit of bent wire and a little bit of styrene strip.

Other than a set of photoetch seat belts and a couple of cut-up F4U Corsair control panels donated from the spares box, everything else is either OOB or scratch-built... including homemade decals.

I'm glad I got it done in time to include it in the Old Kit Build.

Thanks!

Greg

NARSES2

Stunning, camouflage in particular is fantastic
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

You did a great job on that, especially the cockpit and the camo.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Glorious!!!  I love it!!!  I don't know what to say...  as far as personal tastes and such nots what nots this is right up my alley. Nailed it, bro!   

I like the external gun sight doohickey.   ;D ;D   :bow: :cheers: :party:
-Sprues McDuck-

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Glenn Gilbertson

I like that paint scheme - & great work on the cockpit! :thumbsup:

perttime

Looks great.
The back story justifies it well, too. Maybe the story can still be added to this thread too?

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

perttime

Backstory is in the build thread: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,43062.0.html

Quote from: strobez on November 27, 2016, 07:14:38 PM
The Setting: 1950 - The Kingdom of Asran, a small desert country you've never heard of in the Middle East.

In late 1949, when the Old King of Asran died, his final wish was that the royal succession would by-pass his elder, progressive-minded son, Abdel in favour of his more moderate/conservative second son, Zak.  This sparked an all-out civil war, with the loyalists  - those respecting the dead king's wishes and the need to retain conservative values in a tumultuous changing post-WWII world - on one side, and the Anti-Government Forces - those seeking the progressive development of Asran's oil-field reserves with the backing of nameless Soviet-block outside interests - on the other.  As a small but wealthy nation, the rightful government of Asran recruits a mercenary airforce - made up of ne'er-do-wells with sketchy pasts but superior aerial combat skills - to supplement their regular forces.

The Man: Greg Baker
One member of the mercenary air force was the Canadian by the name of Greg Baker (who? me?).  Originally a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), Baker had seen significant action during WWII, fighting alongside Royal Air Force (RAF) in the Far-East and North Africa. Dissatisfied with a return to quiet civilian life in the urban wilds of Alberta, Canada, Baker went abroad seeking his fame and fortune.  After a series of adventures too lengthy to describe here, Baker ended up drunkenly signing a 3-year contract in a bar in Paris (a major Asran recruiting station it turns out!) and inadvertently enlisting in the Asran mercenary air force - known as "Area 44".

The Plane: Caudron Renault C.714 "Cyclone"

Based on the Caudron racers of the late '30's, the Caudron C.714 was an attempt to make a lightweight fighter out of non-strategic materials.  However, as with most attempts to re-tool racers for combat, the end result was basically a disaster.

The French Air Force had ordered 20 C.714s in late 1938, with options for a further 180, and production started at a Renault factory in the Paris suburbs in the summer of 1939.  However, the first production models didn't appear until early 1940 and after a series of tests, it became apparent that the design was seriously flawed. Although light and fast, its wooden construction limited it to a modest engine size and four .30 caliber machines guns, the Caudron was an ineffective weapon when matched up against modern German combat aircraft.  As such it was withdrawn from active service almost immediately and the remaining order was to be diverted to Finland (to be flown by French pilots) and/or free Polish fighter squadrons.

Unfortunately, events in France resulted in only six aircraft being delivered, and an additional ten were waiting in the harbour when deliveries were stopped. The six aircraft that arrived were assembled, tested and given registrations CA-551 to CA-556. The aircraft were found to be too unreliable and dangerous to use, and were not committed to combat. Two of the aircraft were damaged during a transport flight to Pori, however the rest of the aircraft were maintained on the roster until they were retired and scrapped in late December 1949...

In "reality" though, in early 1950 they were sold on the black market to an arms dealer known as McCoy.  McCoy had a nose for conflict and, after the death of the King in Asran he could smell war on the wind and began amassing product to be sold to mercenaries and government forces alike.  Having purchased the four remaining planes, McCoy cobbled together a single, flight-worthy specimen (and a stockpile of spare parts to be sold at a later date) and unscrupulously sold it to the latest recruit to Area 44, Greg Baker - who's limited funds prevented him from buying anything else (although he had his eyes on a F4U-1 Corsair!).

p.s. If the storyline above sounds familiar, it basically because I've transposed the storyline from the Area 88 manga, originally based in the late 70s/early 80s, to the late 1940s/early 1950s.  I already had plans to include the C.714 into my overall Area 88 mega-project, but there's no reason it can't serve a dual role here in the OKGB as well. :)

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

strobez

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear everyone likes the paint job.  You can't really tell I had to cover up a major oops after I drilled through the top of the wing and splurged out a slurry of glued sprue all over the newly painted wing.  I really like this plane for some strange reason, I'm not sure why but something about it just appeals to me.
Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

Great job on this one ! The camo looks great for sure, but it's all the small details that do it for me, the cockpit, the exhaust, the landing gear....excellent work !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?