Gloster Assegai F.1

Started by Glenn Gilbertson, December 24, 2016, 05:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Gilbertson

No sooner had Glosters started work on the Meteor F.8 than they realised that it would be hopelessly outclassed by the forthcoming swept-wing fighters. The Gloster E.!/44 "Ace" had lacklustre performance (nicknamed the "Gloster Gormless".
Radical action had to be taken. Test pilots had liked the cockpit and 4 x 20mm cannon armament of the Ace, and its Rolls Royce Nene was an excellent engine. The third Ace prototype was built with a new, swept wing, rear fuselage and tail, and this time the fighter was a great success - different enough to be renamed the "Assegai". RAF squadrons in Germany were the first to re-equip, and were relieved to be able to face MiG 15's on equal terms. The fighter was robust and dependable, and was passed to the Royal Auxillary Air Force after the front-line squadrons received the Hunter.

The build:
The ancient Airfix MiG 15 was combined with a Matchbox Hunter nose, air intakes cut from a scrapped Revell Fw 190 and loads and loads of Miliput.

More to follow ...

NARSES2

Now that does look interesting  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

I like the look of that, cross kitting at its best.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

Computer crashed twice trying to do the build thread in one!
The cockpit and nose contours were built up with plastic card & Miliput; too narrow, so cut back, the seat detailed and radio details (like the Sabre) with scrap plusstick added, photocopied Hunter panel & Airfix bone-domed heroic pilot added.

Canopy crash-moulded Meteor F.8 copy. Pitot tube from plastic rod.

Lots more Miliput.

Gloster Assegai F.1, 71 (Eagle) Squadron RAF, Wildenrath, West Germany.
Colour scheme as for RAF Sabre in Germany, decals from Modeldecal Sheet 97:

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Librarian

That's a thing of beauty :wub: That scheme works so very well too.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Excellent indeed, even better as the finished article.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

The Rat

Now THAT is fantastic! I've always had a thing for the 1/44, such nice simple lines. Your idea is good, and the execution superb!  :thumbsup: :bow: :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Oh that looks so right ! Love it. I want to play with it right now. Defo stealing this idea.

:wub: :drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

I've never really connected it before -- but the Hunter nose does look like the Ace nose. But I'm not surprised though, Gloster is/was part of the Hawker Siddeley Group.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike