The Jakku Desert speeder Version 2.0

Started by ti, October 17, 2016, 09:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ti

Ok fellows. Here is my version of the desert speeder from the new Star Wars film I mentioned earlier before. As I mentioned before, the base of this speeder was a toy version that I bought for spare parts. After seeing the Jakku speeder version put on the net, I got inspired to do a similar model but, as always, I tend to go one-step-further in my builds.
Here is the toy version, compared to the the toy version, to the real model from the film. I like the version seen for a some seconds in the desert when Rey is flying through the desert on her own speeder. As you can see below the toy version isn't all that fantastic:

Now this version of Finn's speeder, above, is ok but I did not like the gun mounts. So I had to removed them. Secondly, the thickness of the bars or braces were also a concern. They did not look good to the naked eye. So I had to completely removed them by sawing them off. I opened up the engine exhaust holes at the rear and added styrene tubings over the original bracings to hide the clumpy and glossy look of the bracings.

The one from the movie, below,  is more slender in terms of the bracing work. I like that.

The short screen capture of the one from the movie:

The netting was made of Tamiya tamiya tape. I simply used a piece of brass wire as the frame and litterally weaved the tape around and across the frame. That simple. I just love the Tamiya tapes or Scotch brand tape. As we all know that they actually make the Tamiya tapes.
I decided I wanted to make my speeder more interesing by adding some kind of equipment in the cockpit. Don't ask me what they do but since the the Jakku speeder was build by scavenging parts, then it shouldn't matter what was used or what the various parts do. Just use your imagination.
So the end results is what you see in the pics. This might not fit right with you Die-Hard Star Wars fans but just think of it as another Jakku Speeder upgrade. Thanks for looking.

Charles
What we perceive to be may not be what we believe to be.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ti

Charles

nighthunter

Looks like it could've been at the market place on Jakku! Well done, and that's from an avid true Star Wars Fan
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

ti

Quote from: nighthunter on October 17, 2016, 11:34:30 PM
Looks like it could've been at the market place on Jakku! Well done, and that's from an avid true Star Wars Fan

Thank you.
Charles

AXU

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Wow. Now that is cool. Very realistic. 120% less toy than the original ! Are you sure you didn't shrink the *real* thing ?

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ti

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 18, 2016, 03:37:44 AM
Wow. Now that is cool. Very realistic. 120% less toy than the original ! Are you sure you didn't shrink the *real* thing ?

:thumbsup:

Haha! Thanks. Glad you all liked the transformation.
Charles

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ti

Charles

ti

Quote from: MichelC on November 02, 2016, 04:53:42 AM
Great job! Shows well the difference between and toy and a scale model! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

M

Thank you.
Charles

KiwiZac

That's absolutely fantastic! If only the stencils came in Aurebesh!  ;D

Though I confess to not recalling the original speeder from the movie at all...it really is time I bought a copy and rewatched.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates