Author Topic: the one with a little bit of cross-kitting - CASA 2.217  (Read 3086 times)

Offline Captain Canada

• "but this time it's different. I was drunk when I agreed to it."
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: the one with a little bit of cross-kitting - CASA 2.217
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 06:12:13 am »
Sure looks different already !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Offline kitbasher

• bashes kits
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 10:09:22 am »
Dave, if you go for the "Battle of Britain" idea, we can have a mini theme at Telford next year.

If I had the markings Lee I'd consider it, but I've not - and I do have suitable Spanish decals - so am sticking to the plan.  The model is built (the props are just popped into place dry (no glue) and in any case need filing/sanding to remove seam lines), but painting is still to happen.

I'll do what between now and the end of the GB but the canopy framing will take a bit of effort and I'm not convinced all will be complete in time.  I think I will shy away from masking and instead paint up and apply some appropriately painted decal sheet.

I have to say it really is a dinosaur of a kit, very much of it's day so mustn't grumble.  That said, the voices in my head are suggesting I get two more and create a 4-engined 'Do417', inspired by the Ju488.  Might just use Italeri 217s if the moment comes (and they are cheap enough!).

Next GB will see me using an equally ancient Airfix MiG-15.
IPMS What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris, Battle, Blenheim PR.III, CASA 2.217, Corsair GR.1, EE P12, Hawker P1067, Hellcat IV, Ice Cream Tank, JP T4, Macchi MC.205, Phantom FG1, Sea Hawk T7, Spitfire XII, Ta154, Val, Wellington.

Offline The Wooksta!

• Resident Soup Dragon
  • What-IF SIG
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 03:26:59 pm »
Use the markings from an Airfix Do 17Z.  Actually, I've a set of BoB He 111 decals you can have which may be ideal.

BTW, do you still want that Frog Me 262?  Found it a few days back.  I'll bung the two in a bagn and get it off in the next few days.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

"I am not a learning disability!"

The Plan - a Blog
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.html

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 02:42:13 am »

I'll do what between now and the end of the GB but the canopy framing will take a bit of effort and I'm not convinced all will be complete in time.  I think I will shy away from masking and instead paint up and apply some appropriately painted decal sheet.

Sensible. I use 0.5mm wide masking tape painted in the appropriate colours, much simpler, especially with the current eye problem. I buy the tape in rolls of that width so don't even need to cut it  ;D
Decals my @r$e!

Online PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 02:55:55 am »

Sensible. I use 0.5mm wide masking tape painted in the appropriate colours, much simpler, especially with the current eye problem. I buy the tape in rolls of that width so don't even need to cut it  ;D

Who makes that 0.5 mm tape Chris and where do you get it from please?
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline kitbasher

• bashes kits
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 03:36:53 am »

...and can it get here later this afternoon!!??
On the go: Beaumaris, Battle, Blenheim PR.III, CASA 2.217, Corsair GR.1, EE P12, Hawker P1067, Hellcat IV, Ice Cream Tank, JP T4, Macchi MC.205, Phantom FG1, Sea Hawk T7, Spitfire XII, Ta154, Val, Wellington.

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 07:59:48 am »
Lookin good! I love bombers.   :lol:

Damn, that's a hell of a tip on the tape!  I'm on that! I can see perfectly but can't paint worth a flip on canopies.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:01:20 am by TheChronicOne »
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 05:18:47 am »

I used to get it from Little Cars (or whatever his trading name is now) but I stocked up at Telford (can't remember who from), the tape it'self is produced by Jammydog http://www.jammydog.com/index.htm . Their site has a stockists list.

Tape it'self is very good. Low tack, about the same as Tamiya.

Just found a card in one of the envelopes. I got mine from Affinity Models of Stoke. http://www.affinitymodels.co.uk/Search/0
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:22:02 am by NARSES2 »
Decals my @r$e!

Online PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 09:08:27 am »
Magic, thanks very much. I'll get some.  :thumbsup:

[Later] Grrr, too many people reading this thread, they're sold out of the 0.5 mm stuff.  :banghead:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:14:13 am by PR19_Kit »
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline kitbasher

• bashes kits
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 09:12:29 am »
Thanks Chris.

Teeny tiny bit of progress - tidying up the wheel hubs  bit (not quite finished) and refixing the tailwheel.  Oh, and researching the framing for the glazing - no way I can get this finished by the extended deadline so it's time to take the pressure off, ignore the deadline and enjoy finishing the build.

Offline kitbasher

• bashes kits
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 01:44:38 pm »
So very little modelling done since the start of the year.  Here's the sum total of work on the 2.217 since the last post:

Primed overall, rudders undercoated white and that's it.  Framing up the canopy and other glazing is a potential nightmare so a bit of cheating with decal stripes appears in order.  Something for May - not saying which year!

Offline TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 03:37:13 pm »
Nice! Damn glad to see this progressing!
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline NARSES2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 06:50:00 am »
Framing up the canopy and other glazing is a potential nightmare so a bit of cheating with decal stripes appears in order.  Something for May - not saying which year!

I use 0.5/0.75mm masking tape suitably painted on a lot of my projects, especially where there are loads of frames and they aren't that well moulded. Probably get me drummed out of I.P.M.S. but I definitely find it easier.
Decals my @r$e!