Author Topic: Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)  (Read 141403 times)

Offline Flyer

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 11:10:20 pm »
Heavy artillery!!!  :mellow:

No not really, that'd be the dremel, drill and mouse sander. :mellow: ;D

Doubt I'll need to use those on correctional fluid.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. -Robert A. Heinlein

Online TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 09:50:13 am »
Heavy artillery!!!  :mellow:

No not really, that'd be the dremel, drill and mouse sander. :mellow: ;D

Doubt I'll need to use those on correctional fluid.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Certainly not!!  In the meantime: fire up that Quickrete scratch build.......

;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Online TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 12:40:11 pm »
Couldn't leave the models alone for long! I cracked the fuselage on my Bonanza   (see: current projects>aircraft)  and gave up last night but back it aready.

The Yak is ready for primer! Yay! I found out what the notch was in the wing....well... I found a picture anyway...looks like a landing light so I whipped out some clear sprue, chopped some of it up, crammed it in there, then slathered it with glue. I just now sanded it down to conform with the wing. That was all I was lacking before hitting it with the primer. I hope and pray not too many flaws come out. I don't planning on fixing much as this is Glorious Russian Model being built as an exercise. Not that I don't care about it or want to do well.. just won't be breaking my back to refine it.

I fixed the TURRIBLE canopy fitment issues to within the standards I'm looking for and am happy enough with it now...so... she's off to "our" (everyone of us who paint outside lol ) paint booth to lace Glorious Model with primer.  Then... hell I might let it dry for half an hour or so and start painting on it.  Can't wait.  Haven't done camo in about 25 years. 

"Bonus" kit this time as backdrop is the good ol' F1.

-Sprues McDuck-

Online TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 01:02:20 pm »
How's that for turn around?!

I can live with this!

OOPS! I Forgot: This particular version of the Yak 7 has fixed gear, I'll have to remember the the fact that I didn't put the gear doors into the wings and close it all up:

Goofy lil kits but they're growing on me. I wish I could get my hands on like 20 of them for about a dollar a piece.  :D   or 10 for $2 a piece.  Great for practicing on. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:11:50 pm by TheChronicOne »
-Sprues McDuck-

Online TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 02:08:49 pm »
OK, plugged up the holes in the wings so I can do fixed gear on this.

LMAO! Maybe I shouldn't have fixed the canopy alignment after all?! Maybe the kit was more accurate than I gave credit for.   :-X ;D ;D

Anyway, here's my handy work. At this point I'm going to let all this dry up probably a good solid two days as the glue is testors blue.

Bonus kit this time is the first model I bought when I got back into modelling again earlier this year. Got this for $0.99 and free shipping on Evilbay. (SCORE!!)   Nothing missing and the decals are in REALLY nice condition.
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Flyer

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 07:30:52 pm »
 :banghead: I should have said earlier when I mentioned the elevators sitting down at rest but I didn't notice till now, the ailerons (wing flaps) should be one up and one down (they are for roll control). Now this Yak has flapperons.  ;D

(BTW flapperons are a real thing, they are ailerons that droop (normally in conjunction with landing flaps) so this Yak has been modified for short field performance. ;D :thumbsup:

Online TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 08:00:42 pm »
Works for me!    ;D  Ya know, I never really thought that far into it... but... yeah..  huh...one up, one down. Makes sense.  Should have hit me with all the flight sims i play.

This thing would drive a JMN nuts.

I'm not even putting a cockpit in it. Not a scrap. Nothing.  :mellow:

I like to live life on the ~EDGE~.   LOL

Maybe that's what will make it whif... it's powered and controled purely by ghosts..
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Flyer

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 07:15:03 am »
 :thumbsup:

What is the fit like on the NOVO Sea Venom?

Online TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 09:07:00 am »
:thumbsup:

What is the fit like on the NOVO Sea Venom?

I don't know, she's still on the sprues.

A copious amount of flash is present..  The detail looks pretty nice, though!!  Weird, there are raised and also recessed panel lines.... sometimes even on the same pieces.  LOL... a recessed panel line then 1cm away a raised one.

I noticed the decals come in two options! Great!! I plan on building the Australian version so I'll have the other decals for whiffery dickery dock. 

The canopy... though... uhhh... scale wise the glass would seem to be a couple feet thick.  LOL   :o :rolleyes: :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline Flyer

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 10:00:04 am »
I'd do it up some other way and also keep the Aussie decals for whiff's, but that's just me. ;D

Looks good, will keep a look out for one of those, I got a NOVO Vultee Vengeance for about what you paid for that. I like the NOVO kit's, great whiff fodder.

:cheers:

Online TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2016, 10:09:06 am »
From what I've seen of this one, it makes me want to collect them!  I'm pleased as punch about this one and hope it builds well.  Neat subject matter in these Novo kits.

"I'd do it up some other way and also keep the Aussie decals for whiff's, but that's just me. ;D"     Naturally!!   ;D :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

Offline zenrat

• What Would Deadpool Do?
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 04:24:04 am »
Good box art on the Hasegawa Mitsubishi back up there.  Not one i've got in my small (but growing) collection.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

"...the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Online TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2016, 11:22:36 am »
Yup... I think that's what caught my eye.  Looks really nice and the Japanese version of sea camo helped some, too.   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Online TheChronicOne

• -Sprues McDuck-
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2016, 01:11:54 pm »
Filled in where the gear doors used to be.

Just need to go back over now with a thinner filler to make up the rest of the difference... then I'll sand it back down then.... paint??? I think so???    STOP......CAMO TIME!

-Sprues McDuck-

Online PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 05:12:44 pm »
The Novo Sea Vixen is like the FROG one (probably because it IS the FROG one...) only worse.

The FROG ones had bags of flash and a canopy about as thick as a bridge girder, and the Novo re-pops have even MORE flash. The canopy on my Novo one is just a large blob of clear (-ish) styrene.

Luckily I have a Falcon canopy for it and another re-pop of the kit (by Ventura maybe?) which is a lot better and includes the Falcon canopy as standard.
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit