HAL Noun (Eagle)

Started by 63cpe, September 14, 2016, 01:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

The MiG-25 was inducted into IAF service on 17 August 1981 at Bareilly to fulfill the need of a strategic reconnaissance aircraft. On that day No.102 Squadron under the command of Wg Cdr Apram Jeet Singh VrC  was formed with five MiG-25Rs and two MiG-25Us. During it's operational live Indian airforce staff was impressed with the performance of the aircraft although the engines had a short service time and were frequently overhauled. For parts and missiles the Indian airforce depended heavily on Russia, although India had it’s own aircraft industry. Indian airforce brass was concerned about this situation and plead for a more independent relation with the Soviets. So why not produce parts and aircraft themselves? Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) earlier proved it was able to design sound aircraft with the Marut interceptor and the Kiran Trainer. HAL also had license built the diminutive Folland Gnat and in 1982 an agreement with Mikoyan Gurevich led to the production of the Swing-wing MiG-27 by HAL.

In the 1980-ies the consensus under the Indian airforce brass grew the IAF was to become too dependent of Russia and on too big, too expensive to produce and over-complicated modern fighters. In general the IAF Brass wanted to have more small, inexpensive to build and operate interceptors. This led to a request for HAL to design a smaller version of the MiG-25 with the same performance, but less expensive to build and operate.

In the late 1980-ies design and testing was done at the Bangalore plant and by August 1989 the first prototype of the second all Indian designed and build fighter, the HAL Noun, was tested. While the testprogram was successful, the range was rather short as the internal capacity for fuel was very limited. To cope with the lack of range it was a operational standard to fit tanks on the inboard hardpoints. On the other hardpoints the HAL Noun usually carried Soviet made missiles like the K-13 (AA-2 Atoll) and R-60 (AA-8 Aphid). There was no internal gun.

Pictured is the HAL Noun in service with no.16 squadron (Black Cobra’s) based in Gorahkpur AB (Eastern Uttar Pradesh, north India).

IMG_3409 by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

IMG_3411 by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

IMG_3412 by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

IMG_3413 by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

IMG_3414 by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

IMG_3419 by David Dunnebier, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jetsonsspecial/sets/72157670527247014/with/29366049340/

Now, it really is an 1/144 Revell MiG-25. Fuselage halves were widened with 1mm sheets glued over both halves (nose was about 3 mm widened, tail was about 1mm widened) and an aftermarket Mirage F1 cockpit fitted into the fuselage. 1/72 Revell Tornado exhaust cans were added as were 1/72 Airfix intakes from the spares box. A Heller Mirage F1 canopy was sanded (slightly lowered) and faired in with styrene sheet. Paint are mixed humbrol and Testors enamels. Decal came from DP Casper set “India-Pakistan war” with black cobra from spares box.

I hope you like it!
David

JayBee

Absolutely fabulous!.
A great idea and some rather excellent work there. Very well done.  :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Captain Canada

What a neat little build ! Love the look of it. Great idea as well. Always nice to see a scale-o-rama !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

comrade harps

Whatever.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

LOL, that is SO cool.  :thumbsup:

But instead of India I think that the Iran might be an even better operator/inventor option. Reminds me of the twin-fin F-5 copy "Saeghee" that is supposed to "be on par with the F-18." Sure...  ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 14, 2016, 11:55:56 PM

But instead of India I think that the Iran might be an even better operator/inventor option. Reminds me of the twin-fin F-5 copy "Saeghee" that is supposed to "be on par with the F-18." Sure...  ;)

Yes, yes, yes ! I knew it reminded me of something, but couldn't think of it. Ta  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac

Perfect realization of scalorame concept. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

niki

May I just say that this seems perfectly timed with the unveiling of Boeing's take on the T-X: twin fins, high mounted wings, square intakes and a bit deformed  ;D

I like what you've come up with!  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Niki

Flyer

That looks perfect, and gives me some idea's for the parts I have from a 1:144 MiG-25... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

McColm

PALG

Love this. very convincing, as always.