Author Topic: A little work in progress  (Read 64256 times)

Offline Martin H

• Im their Leader. Which way did they go?
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: A little work in progress
« Reply #495 on: November 30, 2018, 06:21:03 am »
I've always wondered how you paint helicopters with open cabin doors. Surely when you spray the body the paint must blow into the cabin so it would cover the interior so then you need to get in there with a brush - very fiddly. Or is there a way to plug the doorway when coating the outside?

Paint round the door frame in the colour you are doing the airframe then tack the door in place using maskol. seals the hole allows the door to match the fuselage around it and then it can be popped off and the maskol removed. Simples.

That as well........
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) TSR-2 SIG Member.
IPMS (UK) R & D SIG Member.
IPMS (UK) DC-3/C-47 SIG Member.

Offline Nick

• What-IF SIG
« Reply #496 on: November 30, 2018, 10:59:31 am »
I've always wondered how you paint helicopters with open cabin doors. Surely when you spray the body the paint must blow into the cabin so it would cover the interior so then you need to get in there with a brush - very fiddly. Or is there a way to plug the doorway when coating the outside?

Paint round the door frame in the colour you are doing the airframe then tack the door in place using maskol. seals the hole allows the door to match the fuselage around it and then it can be popped off and the maskol removed. Simples.
Quote from: Martin H
Deluxe products "tackywax" is your friend there. It helps with a temporay way to tack the door inplace for painting............

Thank you chaps, it makes sense now. I could always use a piece of card or styrene if I don't have the door. Do you think that blu-tack would work instead of tackywax or maskol?

Offline Old Wombat

• Armour: The Gods of War love it!
« Reply #497 on: November 30, 2018, 08:50:59 pm »
Only if you're using acrylics & it can still take a bit to clean up, sometimes.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #498 on: December 01, 2018, 02:19:45 am »
Only if you're using acrylics & it can still take a bit to clean up, sometimes.

Agree. Blue Tack can be very useful, but little bits of it can hang on rather tenaciously. So be prepared to spend some time with a sharp cocktail stick

Decals my @r$e!

Offline Mossie

• Twiglet doctor
  • What-IF SIG
  • Don't laugh at his mule
« Reply #499 on: December 04, 2018, 01:59:27 am »
Me too, I used to use it for landing gear wells but it's a b*gger to get out of fine details.  One trick is to use a larger blob of blu-tack to remove stubborn bits with a rolling, dabbing or rubbing motion.  You can tease it into a point to get into trickier to reach bits.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.