DONE +++ US Navy AH-64N Stage 2+ Sea Apache a.k.a. 'Gray Thunder' (@ p.4)

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 20, 2016, 12:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Wonder that noboby added this one to the GB? The Sea Apache offers a wide range of options, since there were at least three evolution stages that more and more set the helicopter apart from its land-based origin:

Mine will be based on the new Academy AH-64D kit, which offers the benefit of separate "chin sponsons" and very good detail, and probably end up somewhere between stage 2 and 3 - not an "exact" model, rather a personal interpretation of the theme. But elements like the radome, retractable landing gear, foldable tail, maybe bigger stub wings and appropriate ordnance will certainly be there. Livery will be USN low-viz.

Stay tuned.  :tornado:

zenrat

Can I quibble the name Sea Apache?
According to wikipedia the Apache homelands consisted "of high mountains, sheltered and watered valleys, deep canyons, deserts, and the southern Great Plains".
Wouldn't a coastal native american tribe be better suited to provide the name?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on July 20, 2016, 03:05:45 AM
Can I quibble the name Sea Apache?
According to wikipedia the Apache homelands consisted "of high mountains, sheltered and watered valleys, deep canyons, deserts, and the southern Great Plains".
Wouldn't a coastal native american tribe be better suited to provide the name?

Seminole?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Army of One

I prefer the middle one.......can't wait for this........... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Gondor

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 20, 2016, 12:13:16 AM
Wonder that nobody added this one to the GB?

I have thought about it and even bought models to use, however my mojo is not exactly at its highest at the moment which coupled with actually working for a large chunk of the day means that I have little time to stick bits of plastic together. I look forward to how you tackle the subject.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Army of One on July 20, 2016, 01:24:33 PM
I prefer the middle one.......can't wait for this........... :thumbsup:

Me too  ;D. Should be fairly easy to do, esp. with the AH-64D kit. At the moment I am raiding the spares boxes. among others I found a very good resin radar nose for a Ju 88 with a FuG 240 radar as donation part, and I consider bigger/deeper wings from a (fictional) "Hokum" from ESCI, because the wing tip nacelles for the landing gear and eventual big ASMs could appear a bit dominant under the standard AH-64 stubs?

Anyway, it might take a couple of days before work seriously starts.

Army of One

With regard to the nacelles......i can't quite make them out......are the like an AV8B/GR5,7,9 one. If not, would that style work better...? I don't think the ASM would be dominant.......I think it would look great. I agree with choice of radar and srub wing as well.....again, looking forward to this.
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Dizzyfugu

They are a real "problem". I only found a single illustration of a Stage 3 Sea Apache, and that was published in magazines in the late Eighties:

Looks like square "boxes"; Hard to tell if the wheels protrude from the back of the fairings (open, Harrier style) or if they are fully closed? Looks like open fairings, and I will probably stick with this option.

Also found this model (not certain if it has been published here? I think I remember it):

More about it here: http://fillnsand.blogspot.de/2013/01/italeri-172-apache-ah-64d-longbow-dual.html

overscan

There's quite a lot more diagrams on http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,333.15.html from an AIAA conference paper which you might find useful (registration needed to view images).
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot , overscan - I knew the aviastar article, best source so far!  :cheers:  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

This looks very interesting, another one to follow closely! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

With regard to the main wheels protruding from the rear of the wing tip pods. Why not measure the length of the undercarriage leg then transpose the measurement along the pod to find out if the wheel sits outside the pod when retracted or not?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

overscan

Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Dizzyfugu

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..