Lightnilina from P-38

Started by Tophe, June 27, 2016, 10:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Here are the F3O-1 and -2, and single-engined -3:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

The F3O-4/5/6 were differently nick-named: Lighlina.

If you have other ideas, this could have been (with my secret time machine)...

RAFF-35

Oooooh very nice  ;D my fave is the F30-1  :smiley: as a suggestion, normal lightning layout with a single large float coming down from the cockpit with wing pontoons, and then that idea with an extended central fuselage to house a turret and to hold a torpedo  ;D or maybe do a flying boat idea with a gull wing layout similar to my current Bristol project?  :lol: or maybe even the simple double pontoon, mounted one underneath each engine/boom
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

RAFF-35

Or if the general layout of F30-1 but with the hull positioned in the middle with pontoons on each wingtip ;D

ericr

any aircraft can be improved by fittint it with floats or a hull  ;D

Dizzyfugu

I thought that this could only achieved by longer wings?  ;)

Heresy!

RAFF-35

Well maybe a design is called for that requires super long endurance and high altitude flying that also needs to be able to land on water.... Some kind of SAR or sub hunter perhaps?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 28, 2016, 11:57:02 PM
I thought that this could only achieved by longer wings?  ;)

Heresy!

Maybe both...............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Thanks, this will be (in the past) soon...
Just a note: F3O-1 does not stand for the thirtieth F, but F-3-o like lOckheed-1st variant.
This evening or tomorrow, I will try to draw the unknown versions you are referring to.

PR19_Kit

For some reason known only to the USN Bureau of Aeronautics Lockheed's manufacturer's code letter was 'V'.

eg. the XFV-1 Salmon VTOL aircraft.

Ah, I've just remembered why it was 'V', the company was originally called Vega IIRC.

[Later] Not quite it appears, Vega was formed as a subsidiary of Lockheed during WWII but later was re-merged into the parent company.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 29, 2016, 06:41:26 AM
For some reason known only to the USN Bureau of Aeronautics Lockheed's manufacturer's code letter was 'V'.

Ah, I've just remembered why it was 'V', the company was originally called Vega IIRC.

Not quite, it was initially Alco Hydro-Aeroplane Company, then Loughead Aircraft Manufacturing Company, followed by Lockheed. The Vega was one of their 1st successful models.

wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Corporation

My theory is that back in the day, when everything was hand written, some goose cocked up his L & some gormless typist transcribed it as a V, &, once done, it was next to impossible to reverse? :blink:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

You may be right if 1942-46 while I was right if 1936-42...

read the whole table at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1922_United_States_Navy_aircraft_designation_system#Manufacturer

Captain Canada

That's pretty wild Tophe ! I like the first trio  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 29, 2016, 06:57:11 AM

Not quite, it was initially Alco Hydro-Aeroplane Company, then Loughead Aircraft Manufacturing Company, followed by Lockheed. The Vega was one of their 1st successful models.

wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Corporation

See here :- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vega_Aircraft_Corporation

Regards
Kit

Tophe

F3O-7, TBO-1, PBO-1 (designed by RAFF-35 Sr, not Kelly Johnson):

Thanks!