S

Martin P-7 Majestic

Started by sideshowbob9, June 10, 2016, 02:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sideshowbob9

I've always felt that the US Navy needed some kind of Tu-16 Badger analogue and this GB presents the perfect opportunity to play with the idea.

So what if Martin and the USN Bureau of Aeronautics, concerned with the viability of the seaplane deterrent, developed a conventional land-based long-range patrol bomber from as many P6M components as possible?

A WIP:

Martin P-7 Template by mtpalmer1, on Flickr

Edited to add undercarriage doors.

Captain Canada

Looking forward to seeing more of this !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Ohhhh, like it.  Do you do front views also?

-Dave 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

As a big Seamaster fan I love that idea.  :thumbsup:

Where do the wheels go though?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

Thanks guys.

sandiego89, I'm afraid not.

PR19_Kit, bicycle undercarriage in the vein of the XB-48 (I'll add the edge of the doors), with the outriggers extending from the wingtip pods. Good enough for government work!

McColm

I've toyed with using the main landing gear from a B-58 Hustler on the 1/72 Mach2 kit.
As for the Anigrand model either the C-130 or A4000M Atlas/Grizzly landing gear grafted on to the lower fuselage sides.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on June 10, 2016, 11:28:57 AM

PR19_Kit, bicycle undercarriage in the vein of the XB-48 (I'll add the edge of the doors), with the outriggers extending from the wingtip pods. Good enough for government work!

Works for me, I like that idea, and it's logical as they'd already solved the geometry issues with the XB-48.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kerick

I'll be keeping an eye on this one!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

sideshowbob9

1966: WWIII looms in the northern Pacific. A P-7C Majestic of VP-22 loiters over the Forrestal battlegroup ready to counter-fire its AUM-55 ALASROC missiles at any Echo or Charlie class SSGNs that would attack so tempting a target.

Martin P-7C Majestic VP-22 by mtpalmer1, on Flickr

sideshowbob9

1968: Just off of Haiphong, a P-7B of VXAH-1 swoops in low to lay mines.

Martin P-7B Majestic VXAH-1 by mtpalmer1, on Flickr

Captain Canada

Beauty. Love the Navy one ! looks so right.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Love them!

So the "C" looks like it has a bigger radar scanner in the nose than the "B", and some other antennas/bumps.  Is that an optical unit under the nose, or another radar?

Do they have the 20mm guns in the tail? 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

This is classic whiff!!
Make me want to run out looking for Seamaster kits!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

sideshowbob9

Thanks!

QuoteIs that an optical unit under the nose, or another radar?

Good question. It came with the Tu-16 nose but I'd imagine it to be some kind of infrared sensor for detecting the exhaust plumes of snorkeling diesels.

QuoteDo they have the 20mm guns in the tail?

I think that would be anachronistic by this stage (Soviet doctrine not withstanding). Personally, I see the tail lumps/bumps containing an RWR & ECM gear in the vein of the V-Bombers.

PR19_Kit

There was a plan for Seamasters to have rearward firing air defence missiles mounted in the same place as the original gun turret.

There's a drawing of it in the pukka Seamaster book but they never got as far as cutting metal on the idea apparently. I think the missiles were Sparrows but as my book is buried under a mountain of junk I can't find it.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit