SeaMaster support: USS ASHLAND LSD-1 * Finished *

Started by sandiego89, June 08, 2016, 04:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

In the 1950's the US Navy was moving ahead with the Seaplane Striking Force, centered around the Martin P6M SeaMaster, the CONVAIR Sea Dart and the Tradewind.  It was envisioned that this force could  operate far and wide independent of vulnerable shore bases.  A variety of ships would be converted to support the SSF: Sea Plane Tenders, Landing Ship Docks and refueling submarines. 

The USS ASHLAND LSD-1 conducted a proof of concept trials with a P5M-2 Marlin in 1957, and later supported SeaMasters as the SSF became operational....

The build:  1/426 scratch build.  Mostly sheet styrene.  This will be my third part of the SSF, as a few years ago I made the venerable Revell USS PINE ISLAND Sea Plane Tender kit as the USS CURRITUCK to support SeaMasters, and have done a 1/350 scale USS GUAVINA as refueling sub for SeaDarts.  So I am going with the strange fit-the-box 1/426 scale to match the CURRITUCK.  I have a love/hate relationship with the scale:  Hate that nothing else comes in the scale, so lots of scratch building, but I actually like the size as 1/350 can get expensive kit and accessory wise, and needs lots of detail to look good and 1/700 is pretty small, especially for a ship under 500 feet.  So 1/426 hits a nice in-between scale. 

Inspiration concept drawing of the USS ASHLAND supporting SeaMasters.

With tender USS CURRITUCK AV-7 and SeaMasters.  SeaMasters are a kit bash of 1/350 Viking cockpits, F/A-18 Super hornets, B-1 Wings and lots of scratch building. 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

proditor

Awesome. I'll be following this one intently.   :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

:bow:Too cool. Can't wait to see more I love this stuff !

:wub: :cheers: :party:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Work has begun.  The ship had a huge well deck for its size, so I am starting with that as it is a big rectangle and will build the ship inside out.  Hull plates on last as the skin of the ship.

Well deck assembly.  Sheet styrene .040 inch/10mm.  Adding rear deck and mid section deck.  

Seemingly a slab sided ship at first glance, but the hull curves in quite a bit near the waterline.  Building up the frames so I can later lay on the outer hull.

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Frame workup continues

Some frames to support the higher decks/wheelhouse.  

Laid down a few strips of .020 inch (thin/flimsy) sheet styrene at the complex curve parts of the ship to some frames to give more gluing surface points for the outer shell.  

Hull/decks curve up a bit at the bow and the main deck house, so I places a few shims strategically to get the decks to curve up.  All this work will be hidden by the hull, so no worries about being pretty.  

Placing the first bit of outer hull plating.  .030 inch, a bit thinner than the .040 inch used for the frames and decks so I can easier contour it to the complex hull curves.  Not quite as thick as a credit card.      

Dave "Sandiego89"

Nick

sandiego89

Thanks Nick, I have seen that thanks for posting- a great treasure trove for what I am doing including the Marlin trials. Great site for every US Navy ship.

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Hull complete.  Lots of sanding and refining to do.   I should have bought stock in evergreen and Krazy glue.   

Dave "Sandiego89"

Captain Canada

Wow....great job ! You're like the Dizzy of scratchbuilding !

:bow: :wub: :drink: :bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Like many shipbuilding programs the ASHLAND has experienced delays  ;)

Lots more detail with scuttles, gun tubs, ladders, life floats, hatches, gantry crane to replenish the Sea Masters with stores via their top loading hatch.

Everything is scratch evergreen styrene, except for the two gray gun tubs, which were cut from a cheap bic ballpoint pen.

Over the 1MC:  "Now, deckforce report for painting detail, sweepers man your brooms"

Dave "Sandiego89"

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

Scratch built from scratch in white styrene sheet .... :blink:

Some people are too d@mned competent for my own good! :banghead:

Excellent work, Sir! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sandiego89

Hull painted. 

On to the air wing.  Will scratch 2 more SeaMasters up. The gray SeaMaster was from a previous USS Currituck/SeaMaster tender build.   Use a 1/350 S-3 Viking for the cockpit and nose, and F/A-18E rear fuselages for the wing mounted engine nacelles. 

From my earlier assembly line

Dave "Sandiego89"